Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Charlie Chan Chanthology" at first glance

My first of two sets of the "Charlie Chan Chanthology" arrived in yesterday's mail. Thus far, although I have only had the time to take but a peek at the well-packaged contents, I must say that I am every bit as impressed as I had hoped.

The presentation is first rate. When each DVD is inserted into the player, along with the short menu of options, one also sees a repeating trailer-like series of scenes from that particular movie. The quality of the films themselves seems to be of a crispness and clarity as that seen by theater audiences when these films were originally released. The sound quality is a thing to behold, as well. In sum, the positive reviews were all very much on the mark!

One thing that I found interesting is the version of "Meeting At Midnight" that is included in this set. The title card reads: "Black Magic." At the bottom of the screen is a superimposed message to the effect: "Originally titled 'Meeting At Midnight.'" Also, the formatting of the picture is "framed," that is, there is a black frame along the edge of the television screen. I bring this up, because this print seems to be the exact one that our good friend from England, Andy, offered in his Charlie Chan set of DVDs until recently, complete with the "original title" message.

If you haven't already pre-ordered the "Charlie Chan Chanthology," please do yourself a favor and find a seller who carries this fine six-film anthology. I suspect that we will see the "Chanthology" appearing at video sales outlets throughout the country very soon, and some will surely offer it at a discounted price. (amazon.com offers the "Charlie Chan Chanthology" for the discounted price of $48.97 with FREE POSTAGE available!)

The only small shadow on this otherwise brilliant set of DVDs, in my opinion, is the following statement that is placed, descretely, on the slip case as well as on each of the six DVD boxes:

"FACT FROM THE FILM VAULT"

"Created at a time when casting a caucasian in minority roles was considered acceptable, the Charlie Chan films continue to spark debate to this day."

Oh, well... If this is the only blight on an otherwise sunswept landscape, I, for one, will be very content to simply sigh briefly, and then thoroughly enjoy this wonderful set of Charlie Chan DVDs. Hopefully, the good folks at Fox will take note of the success that the "Charlie Chan Chanthology" has already had in sales, will awaken from their politically correct slumber, and will decide to make some money themselves - just as these fine movies did for their company decades ago!

BUY THIS DVD SET!!!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: "Charlie Chan Chanthology" at first glance

Good Review Rush! I'll add this and others to the Cyberspace blog when they come in. I'll probably wait until August.

Chris

I just saw Chanthology for sale at Costco for $39.99.

Re: Re: "Charlie Chan Chanthology" at first glance

$39.99 ?!?!? Time to search the couches for loose change!!

Chris

Re: Re: "Charlie Chan Chanthology" at first glance

Dear Mrs. Pendleton,

Now, THAT'S a DEAL!!! Let's pass it along...

Sincerely,
Rush

Received my set a couple of days ago and opened it up and popped one in the DVD player. I too loved the beginning of the DVD and was extremely happy with the quality of the movie. I watched the Jade Mask first. Imagine my surprise when I went to put the DVD back in the box and pick another to watch. I had two (2) copies of "Meeting at Midnight" and no copy of "The Chinese Cat"!!!!!!! Yikes!!! Amazon was excellent about returning and exchanging the set but I had to stop and return them so I haven't seen the rest of them. I just got an e-mail saying that they had shipped my new set today. Returning them was also easy. I just printed a label off their web site and taped it to the box. Postage paid for by Amazon. I am anxiously awaiting the complete set.

I too, Rush was dismayed by the repeated "disclaimer" or announcement stating that these movies were made when times were less politically correct. Like you, I also can live with it pasted on each DVD (and the box!!) if that means that they will be released for our enjoyment.

I am telling everyone I see about the set and encourage everyone to buy one!!!!