Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TV Chan's Aphorisms

Dear Chris,

These are the beginnings of a nice collection. I have a couple of episodes, although I am not certain as to the titles at this moment. They may repeat one ore more of yours. When i have some time, i'll watch them and take notes!

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: TV Chan's Aphorisms

Well with the link that I have, all I need is a character name or two and I can go from there.

BTW, were you going to add the aphorisms from the Chan novels to the website?

Re: Re: Re: TV Chan's Aphorisms

Dear Chris,

Yes, there are plans for the complete aphorism collection from the Biggers books. As I had read through the books in the past, I had noted the sayings. However, my filing system being akin to a swath cut by a tornado, I may have to read these delightful tales again - not that I am complaining! - in order to note them once and for all!

Your "Charlie Chan in Cyberspace" site continues to look great, and that goes for Virginia's too! I know that you will continue to amaze...

One last thing, and I believe that you mentioned this fairly recently. The group Charlie Chan "serials." Perhaps now, as there is a certain higher "energy" surrounding our Chan Family and participants, we might think again of reviving the continuing Chan stories that were done so well in the past under the guidance of Coach Palmer. He handed the bayon to us a couple of years ago, and, with the exception of "Charlie Chan at College," we have sadly fallen flat.

Maybe this can be revived, and, if you would like your honorable Blog site to house the results, maybe that would be a nice "fit." My personal hope for these stories was that they would be put together more like a movie than a serial where each chapter too often seemed to reflect the writer more than the characters, in my humble opinion. There needs to be, I think, a "production TEAM," where all can work together toward a final production that can then be offered to interested readers. With that in mind, there could be a writing team that would blend their thoughts and skills together to provide a unified vision. A "director" to direct the project, and so on...

What do you - and others - think about this?

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: TV Chan's Aphorisms

Perhaps you forgot that last month I featured a site that gave all of the aphorisms from the Biggers' novels.
Chan Novel aphorisms

Not that I'm discouraging you from reading the books...I am looking to read my copy of Charlie Chan Returns By Dennis Lynds and see how many are in there.

Yes, I would like to relaunch the group serial concept. The structure needs to be more secure than before and, if you don't mind me saying, I'd say purge the "Toughest Case" idea as I fear no good could come of tyring to pick up where it left off. Perhaps put it an archive section for others to look at it. My suggestion would be to start fresh. Perhaps do a story that fills in a gap somewhere in the Chan movie timeline. Like between actors or like at the end of Serpent where they were headed to Mexico City and it was mentioned there was a murder. Something like that.

Maybe mention something in the Yahoo group post section and see what happens.

I agree that one production team should head the project but all could throw in ideas and dialogue. Perhaps we could do it as a serial on the blog and then when it's finish transcribe it into a movie script.

Chris

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TV Chan's Aphorisms

Dear Chris,

I agree with your assessment of the group projects. maybe we can get the word out and see who would be interested in participating in a more structured "screenplay" effort. The main obstacle will be to line up people who will understand that their work will be changed where necessary for the best and most "realistic" (to the real Chan series) effect. In the serials that were done in the past, one got what one got for each chapter. In "College," we tried to fix the continuity problems a bit and make the whole thing flow into a more-or-less cohesive unit.

In the future, I think it would be more fun to see if we could return to the "script" format with illustrations added where possible. A plot outline would be the starting point (worked out by the team under the "director's" guidance, and then the meat could be added, with care, to assure that the right "feel" is there. Again, in the past this was a bit problematic! In one chapter, Charlie Chan was of the Oland variety, and in the next, he felt like the Monogram Toler or Winters Chan...

As for the aphorisms from the Biggers' books, I believe that the ones gleaned from another Website (were they?) did not represent ALL of Charlie Chan's aphorisms. A good selection, but I recall the number that I recorded being much more per story.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TV Chan's Aphorisms

Yeah they were gleaned from another website. click on the phrase Chan Novel aphorisms from my previous post.

I agree with your assesment. I still think we can do the serial concept, that is chapter by chapter, and with a main crew at the helm they can make the final decisions as to how each chapter will look. I think a serial, at least on the blog will add to the excitement and encourage people to return each week to see how the next chapter unfolds.

I also agree about your multi-Chan problem. Which is why the main crew would fix it so it is consistant throughout the story.

Chris

Re: new stories

Hi,

I am intrigued by the idea of resurrecting the fan written stories. Although I had been following Kurt's board since almost the beginning I had taken a hiatus when the first go around of stories was going on so I missed out on those.

When I was in junior high and high school I loved writing stories, etc. I didn't have to pursue that interest after HS because of the time demands placed by college and then building a career and then marriage (all worthy endeavors especially the last one )

If the Chan stories are resurrected I will do my best to participate. To be honest, my ability to contribute will depend on timing. Summer is always busy with outside activities and projects. My busy season at work kicks off in a couple of weeks as well

Chris, Virginia, and Rush - you continue to do great things with your respective Chan sites. How you find time to do all of this is beyond me. As Harry Hoo would say, "Amazing".

Steve

Re: Re: new stories

Steve,
I'm like you--I'd love to see the stories continue but I was so heavily involved in the last one that I don't think I have time or energy right now to help out.
Virginia

Re: Re: Re: new stories

I would be very interested as time allows.

Re: Re: Re: Re: new stories

Very good! This is the type of energy that I mentioned earlier!

Perhaps at the moment, the word could be passed around regarding the revival of the "homespun" Charlie Chan adventures. The actual wheels of progress could begin to roll once some sort of dedicated team is assembled.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: new stories

I know that alot of people don't have much time which is why I think a once a week serial would be the best way to go. Five days to create and suggest ideas, dialogue, etc. and then two days to pull it together and post the result.

chris

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: new stories

I too would be most interested in it.

Re: TV Chan's Aphorisms

I think " “Silence often speak louder than words” was in one of the movies I watched recently, maybe Honolulu, Reno, or Feathered Serpent?

Re "Silence"

Dear Tenman,

Here are the references to "silence" culled from Charlie Chan's aphorisms:

"Silence best answer when uncertain." ("CC IN SHANGHAI")

"Silence big sister to wisdom." ("CC IN PARIS")

"Silence is golden - except in police station." ("CC's CHANCE")

"Silent witness sometime speak loudest." ("CC AT THE CIRCUS")

Sincerely,
Rush Glick