Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thomas Beck

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.

Did Mr. Beck give you any good stories about working with Warner Oland? His death was partly attributed to complications from Alzheimers so I'm not sure how much he still remembered from his acting days.

I found a short story about him in one of those "Whatever Happened to" books that I unfortunately passed up the chance to buy. It mentioned that he was living very happily in retirement with his male friend (I think his friend passed away before he did). The accompanying picture showed an older Beck but one that was still ruggedly handsome.

Steve

Re: Re: Thomas Beck

Thanks to both of you guys for such interesting information about Thomas Beck!
Wow, the things I learn through you all!
Virginia

Re: Re: Re: Thomas Beck

Mr. Beck was an extremely nice and accomodating person.Although I only met him that one time in person, as I said, we stayed in contact.
I did ask him about Warner Oland and he said that he
was a pleasure to work with.
As to his death, I remember calling him and they said at his apartment that he had been moved to a hospital
in Miami. I called and they would not give me any
particulars other than he was not doing too well.
Previous to that i had sent him a letter but it had never been answered; I finally did contact a lady who was looking after him and she said that his memory was
not very good at that point. I thought this was a little odd because up until just shortly before this, he seemed fine to me.
After he died I called the hospital to see if there was someone handling his estate. They said a friend had taken care of everything - so I didn't pursue it any more as they would not reveal his name.
When he was able, I wish I had talked to him more about the Chans, but I didn't want to be too insistent.
I have a nice handwritten and signed note from Mr. Beck framed with an original lobby card of Warner Oland, Steppin' Fetchit, and Thomas Beck from C.C. in
Egypt, which I cherish.
Would love to correspond more, as I have quite a few
original Chan posters and memorabilia.
Steve Crane

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thomas Beck

Dear Steve,

What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it with us, and I would be very interested in hearing any further tidbits regarding your friendship with Mr. Beck. I am certain that your correspondence was a treat to him in his last years.

Please don't be a stranger to this humble Message Board...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick