Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can Anyone Tell Me?

Hi. It may have been ask before and I am behind the times, but I was wondering. Does anyone know the name of the hat design worn by Sidney Toler and if there is a source for a hat of that design. I would like to buy one as soon as I can.

Re: Can Anyone Tell Me?

The hat most worn by all of the actors to portray
our beloved Charlie Chan was called a "PANAMA"...
been looking for one myself [cheap...LOL]

Re: Re: Can Anyone Tell Me?

"Duh", I knew the name, dumb me, but just forgot. Now trying to find one is the trick. I don't think it will be found in any old "garage sale", but maybe a rick estate sale. LOL Gosh I want one bad.

My wife's been out of town with the birth of our 16th grand child so I got to watch all 42 Chan movies these past 3 weeks. It has been nice.

Re: Re: Re: Can Anyone Tell Me?

I found a website for Panama hats but the location was Spain. You can check out my blog, address above and look for a post back when we watched Panama. Have looked for a store in the states, but I too would like one!

I do know that our own Rush Glick owns said hat. Perhaps he'll share info. on it.

chris

Re: Can Anyone Tell Me?

Here's a site in Hawaii...

Brent Black

It's a start.

Re: Can Anyone Tell Me? Yes...it's an "Optimo"

Dear Ken,

The style of Panama hat that you are looking for is known as the "Optimo." As mentioned in this thread, a good quality Panama does not come too cheaply, although less costly versions can be found.

The best place that I know of to purchase the best Panama hats is located on the venerable grounds one of the places frequented by Charlie Chan, the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Waikiki. It is called Newt at the Royal. You can visit them on the Internet at:

www.newtattheroyal.com

Once at their site, click on the "Optimo" button.

I hope that this has been of some help to you, and good luck in your search.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Can Anyone Tell Me? Yes...it's an "Optimo"

Dear Rush,

Thanks very much for the help. It is much appreciated.

Ken