Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hat's Again (Ah...the FELT hat!)

Has anyone thought of contacting a hat manufacturer? It seems to me, if you can’t find what you want, maybe it can be made. There are enough people that want the hat, so making it might be worthwhile.

The ever-present Maskedwacko!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hat's Again (Ah...the FELT hat!)

A very good idea! However, the price may reflect the fact that the hat would be custom made. Still, worth it, perhaps!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hat's Again (Ah...the FELT hat!)

You are right Rush. “The Hat”, cannot be found anywhere else, the exact one anyway. So, if the Charlie Chan collectors want one, (and there appears to be a lot of them) there is only one answer. Have it made. It will not cost any thing to inquire about it, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Maybe it is also time the Charlie Chan Family had a store on the web page. Making available hard to get Hats, Video’s, DVD’s, Photos, Books and other rare Chan memorabilia.

This would help support the site and supply a service to the Charlie Chan lovers around the world!

The Maskedwacko

Re: Hat's Again (Ah...the FELT hat!)

Honorable Administrator,

I too think that the store idea would be a great asset for this WONDERFUL site. Although administering it would be a pain, but Confusious say "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." I do not believe it would be easy, but I think it would be profitable after it continues for the rest of the journey. The only problem, I see would be bandwith, time and getting the things together with photographs etc, and also sizes (for clothing and hats). It may be more than the worthy administrator can take on. Thank you very much.

I do hope that this site continues as it has become a lifeline for me in a sometimes dreary existence. No I am not trying to give impression of a sad life, just difficult sometimes.

I have read all of page one of these wonderful posts of questions and statements and find such wonderful excitement in the knowledge of a society so filled with knowledge about one of my favorite subjects, "The Beloved Charlie Chan" and things about him. I made the statement before that if my posts are annoying, please tell me and no one said "yea or nay" so I will continue, thank you very much. I am now down to the last 12 movies to watch together in a chronlogical order and am having the thrill of seeing and engulfing my senses in all that is Charlie Chan. I am behind you wonderful people in your research, but I will strive to catch up.

In anyway I can help with the site or anything else, I offer what ever my humble knowledge or time can provide.

God bless you all.

Ken Miller

P.S. I am still having trouble using the spell checker (I am sure it is just my system) but my wife says for college educated man with four degress, I am worlds worst speller. Please forgive humble attempt at murdering English language.

Re:Hat's Again (Ah...the FELT hat!)

Well, Rush has more than enough to keep his hands full with a full time job, a new daughter, and a wife that would like to see him from time to time :)

Actually, if you go the "Links" page there is a long list of dealers who offer Chan films. To that list, I would add www.dennisflicks.com. To me, the "big four" would be Andy's Old Time Radio UK site, Doug Palmer's site, Dennis Harmon's site listed above, and Finders Keepers. All have generally good feedback.

As for Chan shirts, etc. there's a really nice guy, Bernard Molek, who offers shirts, mugs, etc. on Ebay. I believe his handle is "bernardfromtheyard".

Steve

Re: Re:Hat's Again (Ah...the FELT hat!)

Well, Steve, I think we all are aware of the links and things, but the guy was just trying to help with his suggestion and myself, I was just trying to volunteer to help in anyway. No one is trying to put more on Rush in any way, most of all me. I just think the person was trying to help with the suggestion is all he was doing. I know about the Ebay stuff as I shop and sell there myself and the t-shirts and other things as well. I truely believe we all just want to help.

Re: Re:Hat's Again (Ah...the FELT hat!)

Well Steve, No one wants to over work Rush. But while all of you at one time or a nother here on the Charlie Chan family home site have said, in one form or another (and that includes YOU: Gee I wish I had that, or where can I get that. The Hat comes to mind now among other things. And your answer is to send them to about four or more different places.

What my suggestion was, and it was a suggestion Steve, is to have a place for the people of the site where most everything can be obtained in one place. Then you and others would not have to go to four or five different places to get what you want. And as of now no one has the right hat Steve, so you would have to get it made. And, what would you do then Steve, give it to someone else to sell?

Now as to overworking........................... Rush.....MAYBE....JUST...MAYBE.....he could hire someone to handle the day to day operations of the store so he is not so overworked. That is if he wants to do it in the first place.

So Steve, retract your cobra fangs a bit, after all, it was just a suggestion.

The Maskedwacko.

Again, hats? My two cents.

Ever-dently, I have missed a hat message here, liley as I don't check in often enough.

Want to inquire, does anyone else consider the brownish looking hat worn by Charlie (I think in an early taxi-cab ride) in CC at the Olympics PARTICULARLY unusual? A few weeks ago, we thought maybe it was actually a derby, and not a soft felt at all. I definitely wouldn't want to attempt to duplicate IT.

Now--don't ask me how I think a hat in a black and white movie looks brownish.

Meantime, on general subject: Are the second hand stores now devoid of period hats? That's where I used to get MY derbies, back in the 60s.

Maurelius

Re: Again, hats? My two cents.

Second hand stores are still around but the unusual ones (hats) are now on "EBAY" and bring in the loot.

I too had my own ideas when it looks brown, black, white, grey and etc. There just seems to be a difference. I noticed today in watching one, Charlie had a plantation hat on, not his usual style, wide brim and creased crown and it looked unusal for him. I prefer the black one he wears the most. I like it even over the Panama "Optimo" hat.

My wife is a "garage sale and estate sale junkie" so she is looking for several for me now.

Enjoyed the movie tonight and enjoyed meeting you and others. Have a great week.

Ken