Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting at Midnight/Black Magic COAT STAIN...EVIDENCE NOT CONCLUSIVE

Well, my friends, I watched the rooftop jumping scene again last night. I believe that you actually can see the stain on Mrs. Bonner's coat, BUT this could just as easily be a shadow. As the stain is on her right side, and as she is most of the time turned three-quarters in that direction, that part of her coat is not readily visible enough to make a definite decision.

Again, I thought that I saw the stain for a moment right at the start of that scene, but, as I mentioned also, the dark spot could have also been a shadow. In the end, Mrs. Bonner's position makes it such that, even if we have a "continuity error" here, it is tough to prove either way.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting at Midnight/Black Magic COAT STAIN...EVIDENCE NOT CONCLUSIVE

So Sorry. Most humbly ask you forgive this humble person who should probably just drop this subject, because it will seem like I am being argumentative and that is just not the case. I wished I could show you what I saw on both copies. There is no if's ands or buts, the stain is very visible on both copies. If someone can tell me how to reproduce a picture from this I would show you from this movie. The stain is very visible from the street, to the elevator, to the entrance from the door on the roof top to the walk to the ledge and on the ledge.

Now having said that, I want you guys to realize I am not pushing this issue for any personal reason, nor as a way to "get my way" on something as benign as this. Sorry, but it is the detective in me and what is before my eyes or in an investigation, if I am right after that investigation is complete, I cannot help but give my findings. After 38 years of being a police officer (still am licensed in the state of Texas for life) and a very good investigator, it is impossible for me not to investigate to the max. I work just as hard to prove my own theroies wrong if I see that. I remember I solved a very nasty robbery and found who I believed to be the person and was picked out by every witness we had and I got the warrant and arrested him, who had no alibi and could not prove where he was. But something was wrong and I reinvestigated. My Chief told me I had 48 hours to prove the guy I had setting in jail was not the right one. He said I had done a great job and why would I want to undo a great investigation (took two weeks to get him) and I said because I don't believe he is guilty and so I had 48 hours. I proved it and got the right man just before the 48 hours was up. He now sits in prison.

Anyway, that is why. So Sorry. Thanks for listening.

Thank you so much.

Ken

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting at Midnight/Black Magic COAT STAIN...EVIDENCE NOT CONCLUSIVE

Dear Ken,

What a GREAT story in the second half of your post! Truly worthy of Charlie Chan himself, and, I'll bet that whenever you watch "Charlie Chan in London," when he had 63 hours, I believe, to clear someone from a murder charge, that you know how Mr. Chan felt.

Now, as for that pesky stain, if you saw it, I will agree it was probably there. It shows in all of the other appropriate scenes, and I did think that I saw it, too, though briefly, on the rooftop scene. So, I have no problem agreeing that it is indeed there. Please feel free to note any other details that you pick up while watching Charlie Chan films!

Again, wonderful story that you added to your post, Ken! "Thank you so much." Also, i would like to hear more about that Charlie Chan play that you are involved with ("Charlie Chan in Texas").

Sincerely,
Rush