Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Possible Charlie Chan Hat

Honorable Family,

As a retired Chief of Police and Captain of Detectives, I have not given up on finding a possible hat for the Family here that represents Charlie Chan and All he stands for in our lives. Please excuse humble absence from family as my father who has the dreaded disease Alzheimer's has been ill and it is hard to leave him as his forgetfullness is now involving his ability to even eat. At times he cannot even get his legs to work or his hands to move. I hate this disease. My wife's mother lives with us as well and she has the beginng states of it, as well.

Anyway I digress, please forgive humble self. I have been searching many hat companies and especially those who make them as well. I always start out with the fact (I believe) it is not a "Bowler" hat and nearly everyone who I have directed to this great Charlie Chan site for its wonderful picture gallery and a few other sites I know, have come back with telephone calls or email saying they believ it is a "bowler". I cannot seem to convince anyone. This last one sent me an email with their site which is included and you can go to and see what she is saying. She says it is a high crown "Bowler" made famous in England in the 1800's used for those who rode fox hunts and etc. I think I disagree, but I wanted those of you interested to look at what she is saying for your great opinion. They have some thing that for $224.00 you can buy 14 hats for that price or $32.00 a piece in varying colors. The copy of the email is below and I was just wondering if you guys and gals would please take a look. DISCLAIMER: I do not work for these people and am not trying to sell their hats, I am just looking for my own hats to own. I have also looked on EBAY nearly everyday looking for these Charlie Chan hats and although many look similar, none exact. The Dobb's Homberg without the crease is also a possibility. I just don't know. I have several 1940's and 50's type hats I have worn in the Civic Theater productions I have acted in and have pushed out the crown to try and see if they are similar and they are not. I just have not found the right combination. I have a rounded top "Bowler" I wore in a couple of movies I was in (Civil War movies), but to me it is not the same either. I can find hats with the "right" brim (easy to find), but not the right crown. The "Bowler" I have has too much of a rounded crown, but this lady says it is a "High Crown Bowler" which is different. Please look and tell me what you think. Again sorry for the long post.

Ken,
This hat is a bowler, but a high crown bowler.
Here is a link to our new Jaxon fur felt high crown bowler.
http://www.villagehatshop.com/product1829.html
I think they look very similar.
Tina
----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 8:50 PM
Subject: Thank you for contacting VillageHatShop.com

>
>
> First Name: Ken Miller
> Phone: 254-770-3372
> Email Address: kmiller12@hot.rr.com
>
>
> -----Begin Comments------
> I am looking for a "Charlie Chan" the movies type hat. Not the "Panama
Optimo", but the felt type. shown (not a bowler) gallary of pictures at
http://charliechanfamily.tripod.com/ to see what I am talking about. I know
many people wanting these hats. Can you help me. Thank you so much.

Please read above and go there to see what you think. Thank you so much.

Ken Miller

Re: Possible Charlie Chan Hat

Ken, IMHO
That isn't what you are looking for. The Bowler is more of a British hat. I've seen enough classic British shows to know the bowler. I'd keep looking my friend.

Chris

Re: Possible Charlie Chan Hat

Dear Ken,

First, please accept my deepest best wishes to you and your family and your father during this most trying of times. My heart truly goes out to all of you.

Regarding the hat that was suggested to you as a "Charlie Chan" hat, you are correct in saying that this is definitely not what you (or I!) are looking for! Interestingly, I looked at the link you provided and realized immediately that that store (The Village Hat Shop in San Diego, CA) was the one where I ordered the hat that I mentioned in an earlier post. It is a hat made by Christies (I don't know if I spelled it correctly, but I believe it has the same spelling as the famous auction house). It was the only hat that I could find that came close to a Chan-style hat, as it had an unformed crown, and the brim was the same measurement all the way around. The only drawback is that the crown could be a bit taller.

There are two other companies that make a hat that comes close. One is Stetson, I believe, who makes an Indiana Jones type hat that can be bought with an unformed crown. However, the brim is braoder at the front rather than of equal size all around. The other company is called Miller. They offer a hat called the "Indiana Miller" which is very much like the Stetson hat that I described.

Continued good luck in your very worthy search. If you, or I, or any one else here comes up with a true winner, that will be a happy day.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick