Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Possible Charlie Chan Hat

Ken, IMHO
That isn't what you are looking for. The Bowler is more of a British hat. I've seen enough classic British shows to know the bowler. I'd keep looking my friend.

Chris

Re: Possible Charlie Chan Hat

Dear Ken,

First, please accept my deepest best wishes to you and your family and your father during this most trying of times. My heart truly goes out to all of you.

Regarding the hat that was suggested to you as a "Charlie Chan" hat, you are correct in saying that this is definitely not what you (or I!) are looking for! Interestingly, I looked at the link you provided and realized immediately that that store (The Village Hat Shop in San Diego, CA) was the one where I ordered the hat that I mentioned in an earlier post. It is a hat made by Christies (I don't know if I spelled it correctly, but I believe it has the same spelling as the famous auction house). It was the only hat that I could find that came close to a Chan-style hat, as it had an unformed crown, and the brim was the same measurement all the way around. The only drawback is that the crown could be a bit taller.

There are two other companies that make a hat that comes close. One is Stetson, I believe, who makes an Indiana Jones type hat that can be bought with an unformed crown. However, the brim is braoder at the front rather than of equal size all around. The other company is called Miller. They offer a hat called the "Indiana Miller" which is very much like the Stetson hat that I described.

Continued good luck in your very worthy search. If you, or I, or any one else here comes up with a true winner, that will be a happy day.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick