Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In The Spotlight...The Shadow!

Our spotlight performer played The Shadow in the 1940's movie, The Shadow.

Here's a hint to his indentity:

Oh, And I've accomplished another success!! Lesson for those who are interested!!!

Chris

Re: In The Spotlight...The Shadow!

My Dear Sir,

In my humble opinion that particular voice is the great actor Orson Wells. However I could be wrong. The Shadow was played by no less than 7 radio actors. The first was James LaCurto from 1931 to 1937, then Orson Wells from 1937 to 1938, then Bill Johnstone 1938 to 1943 and then Bret Morrison from 1943-1944, and then the final war years of 1944 to 1945 with Jon Archer (who's voice was much like Orson Wells and then for two months Steve Courtleigh and then the longer 1945 to 1954 was Bret Morrison (the one I listened to the most. I just loved that show and my Dad and I listen to them now on an MP3 player and he just smiles and sometimes remembers. (He as some know has Alzheimer's) It is so neat to be able to sit there with him and listen. One of these days I will be able to afford another MP3 player (boom-box) to stay there with him and let him listen.

Thanks so very much for that memory shaker for me. I probably am wrong as usual, but it is fun. Thanks for it.

Thank you so much.

Ken

Re: Re: In The Spotlight...The Shadow!

The wav file was one I downloaded from a site but they didn't say who it was. The Pic I put up was listed for Jory, again I don't know for sure.

I recently got my hands on The Lost Shows of The Shadow which includes a very early episode aired in 1937 starring Orson Welles. According to the booklet that came with the set, the actors of the Radio Shadow are as follows:

Orson Welles, Bill Johnstone, John Archer, Bret Morrison, James LaCurto, and Frank Readick

The actors to portray The Shadow in the movies are: Rod LaRoque, Victor Jory (Serial), Kane Richmond, Alec Baldwin

TV Shadow: Tom Helman and Richard Derr

Chris

Re: Re: Re: In The Spotlight...The Shadow!

Chris How were you able to plug in this post ahead
of my post which was 12 hours earlier???
You "Techno-Wizard"

Re: Re: Re: Re: In The Spotlight...The Shadow!

Because I replied to your message and not the one below. I guess that puts it in order?

Chris

Re: In The Spotlight...The Shadow!

Well... The only two actors that portrayed the shadow
in the movies of the 40's to my knowledge were Kane
Richmond & Victor Jory...but neither the voice or your
image appears to be them...Of course there was Rod
Lerouqe in the late 30's at Grand National..got em all
& love em all ...