Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Merry Christmas

With Christmas on its way, I was wondering whether Charlie and the Chan clan decorated their Christmas tree on Christmas Eve and opened presents the next morning or did they attend church . . . . You get the idea.

Whenever they did the tree, I can imagine the smaller Chans putting up ornaments on the lower branches and the bigger Chans higher up. Mrs. Chan would probably supervise who got which ornaments while Charlie--of course!--would be saved for the last, most important decoration . . . the angel on top of the tree!

One thing for certain with that many kids, Christmas day would start early with wrapping paper everywhere!

We were lucky growing up. We'd go to our maternal grandparents' house Christmas Eve to unwrap gifts and do it again at home the next morning!

How about you all?!

Re: Merry Christmas

Dear Virginia,

You bring up some potentially delightful scenes. I would guess that the Chan family, being quite Americanized as evidenced by the actions and attitudes of the children surely celebrated Christmas. Also, it is evident that church was, at least nominally, a part of the upbringing of Charlie Chan's numerous blessings. This can be seen where Mr. Chan suggests to son Lee in "Charlie Chan in Shanghai" to "say your prayers...may need them." (This would not have been said, I feel, in a Chinese Buddhist/Taoist family context.)

The Episcopal church, via the Anglican church to which the Hawaiian Royal Family belonged in the old days, is still fairly prevalent in Hawaiian life today, and it may have been the Chan family's church of choice.

Yes, I can easily picture Lee or Jimmy boosting one of their younger brothers or sisters up high to help them gently place the "finishing touch" atop the family Christmas tree.

An early "Merry Christmas" to all...

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Merry Christmas

I'll agree with Rush. It wouldn't be Charlie putting the Tree Topper on but the youngest lifted up by by Lee or Jimmy. My guess is that Charlie would be hiding in the bedroom wrapping last minute gifts or preparing some special gift for the missus.

I could see the younger ones getting up at least two hours before sunrise on Christmas Morn and having half of the gifts opened before the rest awake.

The parents may be good in discipline but one day the whole thing goes crazy.

Chris