Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm looking for a movie title...

I just found your website and am enjoying it so much! A long time Chan fan, I just received a box set of Chan films (Sidney Toler- Chan) from my husband for Christmas, I am looking for the title to a particular Chan movie that I remember watching as a teen.
This movie had Mantan Moreland as Birmingham Brown and another tall, thin, black man whose name I do not know. This other man, if I remember correctly, spoke very slowly and the two of them together were scared of everything! There was a 'haunted' house in this film and the two of them got lost in it. They were hilarious (as I am remembering from my childhood!) together but I couldn't seem to find a film that matched that discription that had Birmingham with a 'sidekick' besides a Chan son.
Is there anyone who knows which movie I am trying to remember?
I appreciate any help. I look forward to getting 'lost' in your website. It's wonderful!

Another Chan fan,
Tanya

Re: I'm looking for a movie title...

Tanya,
I have all the Chan movies available and I remember maybe three scenes in different
ones that had Birmingham did comedy skits in. There was Charlie and at least one of his sons in virtualy every one though.

Were the houses actually haunted or were there seances going on?

Sorry!
Virginia

Re: Re: I'm looking for a movie title...

Virginia,
Wow, thanks for answering so quickly. I appreciate the help and knowing that all the other films are available. I shall start collecting now that I have a start with the six. Only 38 more to go! Right? I think there are 44 in all.
It was back in the 70's when I saw this film. Our CBS affiliate would show Charlie Chan movies every Saturday night at midnight. I 'think' that I remember that Birmingham and this other fellow were waiting outside for Mr. Chan and did not want to go in this place. Finally they go inside looking for them. They end up going thru secret panels into various rooms and such. There might be a line - "Feet don't fail me now." That was 30ish years ago and I haven't seen it since. I just remember Birmingham's huge eyes and this tall thin fellow and they were hilarious together. They were afraid the spooks would get them.
Did I dream it all? LOL?

Thanks for the help and hope the New Year is good to ya!
Tanya

Hi Tanya,
Welcome aboard!! Glad you found us and hope you'll stick around awhile. I'm drawing a blank on your movie description. Are you sure Mantan was playing Birmingham? He's done many other films, including some involving a haunted house or other such scenes.

In the Chan films he played opposite Ben Carter in a few rountines but they were part of their stage show. He also did a scene with Willie Best in "Shanghai Chest" at the jail. You might check Mantan Moreland's listing at the IMDb website.

Also you can check my blog (see link above) I have Mantan listed as Spotlight Actor of the Week a couple months ago.

Good Luck.

Chris

Dear Tanya,

Happy New Year, and WELCOME!

The film you describe sounds to me to most closely resembel "Black Magic," more popularly known today as "Meeting at Midnight." It is possible that over the years the scenes have blended a little.

There are a good many people who sell Charlie Chan films, and you might look through the list at our "Links" page. Also, last summer, MGM Home Entertainment released six Monogram Chan films on DVD in a very nicely packaged set. This set is available from many sellers as well as many more on eBay at fairly low prices, and it includes the film mentioned above.

Again, welcome to our humble home, and...happy exploring...and happy collecting!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: I'm looking for a movie title...

Dear Tanya:

In doing some research about your question I too recollect a movie with Mantan Moreland and another black actor Willie Best. They were in the movie with Laurel and Hardy titled A Haunting We Will Go...which takes place in a haunted house. This film was made in 1942 when Laurel and Hardy were with Fox Studios.