Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: who played charlie chan on radio

Jack,
I have "The Great Movie Series," edited by James Robert Paris, 1971, A. S. Barnes and Co., Inc., New York.

According to him, Charlie Chan was played on the radio by Walter Connolly, Ed Begley, and Santos Ortego.

There are movies with Connolly and Begley that you can watch and make viuce comparisons. Ortego did the soap opera, "As The World Turns," from 1956 until his death in the 1970's if I remember correctly.

Naish only did the television series in England about 1957.

I have a CD from www.otrcat.com that has two episodes of an Australian radio series of Charlie Chan (played by William Rees) done in 1950. Number one son played by Rodney Jacobs. There were 14 out of 52 episodes produced in the studios of 3KZ in Melbourne and broadcast on Monday nights at 8:00 P.M.

I got this information about "The Adventures of Charlie Chan" from a fellow Chan lover, John Rhodes, from (Surprise! Surprise!) Australia.

Does this help any?

Virginia

Re: Re: who played charlie chan on radio

Thank you, Virginia, for the information. It is certainly a lot more than I came up with. After looking for a while longer, I found some info on Walter Connolly.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Chan fan,
Jack

Re: Re: who played charlie chan on radio

Acutally that information helps me too!! I was only able to track down Ed Begley, Sr. Having downloaded a handful of the episodes, I noticed the voices are different. So I guessed there were more than one actors.

Thanks,
Chris