Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Keye Luke

I have no idea either. But I do know that in the 40's Keye Luke play Kato in the two Green Hornet movie serials!

Didn't Rush mention the need for Asian actors to play Japanese soliders for war movies?

chris M.

Re: Re: Re: Keye Luke

I remembered seeing Keye Luke in "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo" and Dr. Kildare, hence my thought that he might have signed a cotract with MGM. But looking at IMDB, I see that I'm wrong about "Thirty Seconds", and it wasn't the Dr. Kildare series but Dr. Gillespie's, which is close enough since Gillespie is a continuation of Kildare.

One interesting thing I noticed in looking at his credits is that at the same time he was playing Dr. Lee Wong Howe in the Gillespie movies he popped up in an Andy Hardy movie in the same role. Neat little touch there. That would also give credence to the MGM idea, except that he seems to have been everywhere during late thirties and forties so I've dropped that one.

- Philip

Re: Re: Re: Re: Keye Luke

Dear Philip,

Virginia was correct in her statement above. When Warner Oland passed away, Fox wanted to continuue the hugely popular Charlie Chan series. However, the studio offered Keye Luke much less per film than he had been earning with Oland. This may have been due to Fox' concern that the series would be less popular with a "new" Chan in the lead role. In any case, because of this, Keye Luke moved on to other projects, and Victor Sen Yung became the new son who helped his Pop solve cases with the series remaining as popular as ever.

You may like to take a look at the Keye Luke interview that we have available to read in our "Study" page. There is also another good one at the same place with all THREE Chan film sons, Keye Luke, Victor Sen Yung, and Benson Fong.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Keye Luke

I did read the one with all three sons. But I don't think I've seen the one on the "study" page. I'll have to find it.

Thanks.

- Philip

Re: Re: Keye Luke

>Philip,
>As I understand it, the studio offered Keye Luke a pay >cut to continue in the series after Oland died. He >didn't want to continue for less money so Fox was able >to start with a different son for Sidney Toler's Chan.

That makes sense. I mean it makes sense that that was the reason, though it seems like Fox would want to keep the other part of the team to keep the continutity. Maybe they were unsure if the Toler movies would go over (were the budgets smaller?) so wanted to hedge their bets, or pehaps they just saw the opportunity to save a few bucks.

- Philip