Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DVD'S

Dear Steve,

Aside from the six-DVD set put out this past summer by MGM Home Entertainment, there are no other commercially made Chan DVDs on the market. As for independent sellers, if you are looking for quality prints, you might check with Dennis Harmon at DennisFlicks.com (http://dennisflicks.com/). He claims to have a very good product, and I have heard no complaints from anyone regarding "same." Dennis also offers Mr. Moto.

For more sellers, please take a look at the "Charlie Chan Movies" section of our "Links" page here, and good luck in your search...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: DVD'S

thanks for info---i know that these more obscure versions are probably not available in studio print versions and probably not commercially viable but as i said i have been thru the peroiod of guys making serial movies off 3rd generation prints or satellite etc and some are so bad that the phantom could not be seen and looked like the cave he was in ---i don't want to be ovrly fussy just want to see the movie and be able to tell chan from a wall! thanks for a good site with interesting insights.I am a poster dealere and did memphis for years but unfortunastely missed the chan reunion last year and was disappointed. somehwere in my mess i have some chan photos and if you think the people would like to see i will scan and send --first i have to find them.

Re: Re: Re: DVD'S

Photos? Yes please!!!

Chris

Re: Re: Re: Re: DVD'S

as soon as i can find them

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DVD'S

Goodie!
Virginia

Dear Steve,

I know what you mean about some copies of copies of copies of movies being a little hard on one's eyes! There are some very nice copies, perhaps only once removed, of Chan movies available on what is lovingly refered to as the "grey market." Hopefully, one day, more Chan films will be released commercially.

Please do feel free to share any of the Chan imagery that you may have at home. If you are willing, we could include some of the scans in our Gallery here.

Sincerely,
Rush

will do

Re: Re: DVD'S

Hi,

I received "Broadway" and "Shanghai" from Dennis this week and was very pleased. This are first generation prints and look much better than the copy of copy x 3 that the grey market usually offers.

Keep in mind though that his DVD will only look as good as what Fox broadcast. Therefore Broadway looks splendid while Shanghai looks less so (although it looks better than I've ever seen it). He packaged the DVDs very well and provided a jewel case for same.

At $10 per disc he really isn't making much money once postage, bubble mailer, jewel case and cost of the disc are factored in (not to mention wear and tear on his PC). People sometimes complain about the prices grey marketers charge, but sometimes forget about the costs involved.

I will be upgrading some additional titles through him (basically the restored Chans that aired in the first marathon that didn't get repeated in the second marathon).

Steve

If you go to this web sight I found.....
http://oldtimeradiouk.playntradeonline.com/index.html..
you can get the entire Chan collection for $38.00 with
free shipping. The set(which I have) are good quality DVD's for the money. It contains all of the movies except those in the Chanthology Collection by MGM. I also have this collection and these have been remastered by MGM and are Great.

thanks all