Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Black Camel Novel

Just finished the Biggers' Novel of The Black Camel. A very well written book and a fun read. One the things I really enjoyed is the way Mr. Biggers wrote Chan in his strained mindset to sort matters out. I know in a 60 minute film or so you have to gloss over such things which is why I like the books. It gives much more detail and allows Chan to be the ongoing investigative detective. For some reason I forgot the maid was the killer. I knew Tarneverro was involved as per the movie but I chose Diana Dixon. Why? No clue, really. Unless, I was merging the Rio version of the story with Camel.

According to the movie, Julie and Jimmy Bradshaw stay in Hawaii but the book says they are headed for California.

Overall this is definitely a worthwhile read!!

Chris M

Re: The Black Camel Novel

Dear Chris,

"The Black Camel" is probably my favorite Charlie Chan novel and the film version is my favorite Chan movie. The picture follows the book quite closely, as you mentioned.

Diana Dixon appears but very briefly in the movie as "Miss Dixon," an uncredited part. The butler role in the film, Jessop, is quite different from that in the book!

I feel that the book is a good "companion" to the movie, as it does add another dimension, mainly one of details that, as you mention, cannot be included in a 71-minute film. To me, it's fun to let the two versions of this story blend with one another.

Yes, "The Black Camel" is, as you say, a worthwhile read! Hopefully, more fans of Charlie Chan will treat themselves to the fine original stories by Earl Derr Biggers that inspired the movie versions.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: The Black Camel Novel

Chris,

To be honest I have never liked the Biggers stories as much as the films, but I reread CAMEL a couple of months ago. It definitely fleshes out some of the characters as featured in the movie and adds to the overall enjoyment of the story.

It is impossible for me to read these stories without having a mental picture of Warner Oland as Chan which is ironic considering that Toler was the one who tried to model his Chan after the novels.

Steve

Re: Re: The Black Camel Novel

Dear Chris,

I, too, picture Warner Oland in the role of Charlie chan when I read the Biggers novels. It makes sense, actually, I feel, as Biggers, himself, was as pleased as could be with Oland's personification. Also, except for "Keeper of the Keys," all of the stories were originally made into Oland Chan films. (The "proto-Chan" silent movies as well as the talking "Behind That Curtain" were, in my opinion, Charlie Chan pictures in little more than name. Biggers' stories were changed drastically, especially in the silents, and Chan was little more than an afterthought.)

Sincerely,
Rush