Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Review--Camel Vs. Rio

I had the opportunity to watch both The Black Camel and Charlie Chan in Rio today. Having read the novel I watched the film. It's the second time though I watched it as if the first because of the book. It followed the book fairly well, though seemed very choppy because of time constraints. The revelation of Tarneverro's true identity was just as interesting as the book. I wasn't too keen on Smith's girlfriend. Don't recall Smith being killed in the book either.

Rio is a very good remake and I'm more partial to it because I saw it first and it has Harold Huber in it. The scenes with Marana were more intense and made the character more believeable than Tarneverro. But the pace was a little too fast, the characters not as quirky and too available throughout the whole movie. Camel had the characters sprawled out a bit and it took more than one day to solve the case.

Overall, both movies are very good and I really can't say which is better. So I won't.

chris

Re: Review--Camel Vs. Rio

Dear Chris,

As "The Black camel" is my favorite Charlie Chan movie, I admit to being prejudiced. Choosing between this film and "Charlie Chan in Rio" as the best production based on the original story by Earl Derr Biggers would have to, for me, go with "Camel." In my humble opinion, "Rio" is sufficiently different from "Camel" (both the book and the film) so as to stand on its own as a very good picture.

Sincerely,
Rush