Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Charlie Chans

What do you all think of Keith Carradine as a new Charlie Chan? He could give a karate kick to #1 son
whenever he whined about going back to the hotel and going to bed. "Don't forget your prayers" WHAM!
Or would he be a better Mr. Wong?

Re: New Charlie Chans

I would be happy to see a remake of a Charlie Chan..
or Mr Moto...or mr.Wong..They'd all be good.
Just not as good as the originals.

cheers/mike

Dear John,

In light of today's frigid PC climate, I am afraid you may be "Wong" on both counts! (Ouch!) It is so sad that actors are not allowed to stretch their acting skill today.

After meeting James Hong last weekend, I came away with the opinion that he would be great as a "new" Charlie Chan. Mr. Wong, too!

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: New Charlie Chans

I don't like to think it Rush, but you're probably right. I KNOW Birmingham would be out of the question
but Al Sharpton would be great in the part! Ah, the bittersweet contemplation of what might, but never will be.

I've always liked Hong. He has a great voice. I really dug him in Big Trouble In Little China. I didn't know that he was in The New Adventures of Charlie Chan. I've always wanted to see that show since I'm a Naish fan. I'll definitely have to track down some episodes since Hong was also in it. Thanks!

Dear John,
I don't disagree with any of the candidates for Charlie Chan, I think James Hong AND Keith Carradine have all the acting qualities to fill the part. My problem is I can't imagine a skinny Charlie Chan. I wonder if we could talk them into gaining some weight. Of course, I'm judging their thinness by what I've seen in the movies. Maybe their more "rounded out" by now. How did James Hong look, Rush?

Not only would I like to see some new Charlie Chan movies, but (I may be alone in this opinion)I would like to see at least the first one in black and white. Do I sense a lynch mob forming?

Humbly yours,
Jack

Oh boy, this is going to send the feathers flying !!!

First, Keith Carradine is very wrong for the part. He's to light headed of an actor (He is just to hard to take seriously)Also and most important,he does not have a commanding stage presence that any Chan should have. And I might add, Oland and Toler did have. I might add, David Carradine would be better than Keith and even he would not be right for the roll. Sorry grasshopper.

And now to make Rush upset....James Hong is a light weight actor and not in just his weight. he is a supporting actor at best and has always had trouble in any role that was pivotal to the lead. Just look at him in Big Trouble in Little China. He was the the lead bad guy and EEE-Gad what a poor unimposing performance. That was one of his bigger roles and he could not do it. Put that together with his squeaking and annoying voice and you don't have Chan, you have a joke.

Who is right for Chan, Im not sure at this point. But I do know this. If we are lucky enough to get another
Chan movie made, we better have the right actor in the role. We may never get another chance. We all know what makes a good Chan, so do not settle for anything else, because nothing else will do.

Maskedwacko

They'd better make room for both of us, Jack.