Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Were Charlie's sons helpful?

In one of the films (a Fox Toler, I think) Charlie introduces a son by saying something like, " . . . without whose assistance many cases would have been solved much earlier." I know there are a lot of films where a son or other sidekick provide clues that point to the red herrings, but aren't there some films where they are more than comic relief and provide a valuable clue that leads to solving the case?

I think I have one so far - in Paris Lee tells Charlie that that Xavier got into a limousine after the taxi ride and that it was the same car in which Max Corday had driven away from Dufresne's residence. I think that was a key piece of information that pointed Charlie in the right direction.

Would you say that Lee was more helpful than Jimmy and Charlie's statement only applies to Jimmy? Are there any situations where Jimmy provided a clue or a key piece of information? What about Birmingham?

~Mrs. P

Re: Were Charlie's sons helpful?

Dear Mrs. P.,

Yes, indeed, Charlie Chan's offspring HAVE helped him on his cases. The instance that you mention is a very good one. Also, in "Charlie Chan at the Race Track," Lee did much to assist his Pop. Please recall the droping of many notes to the various suspects by Lee, plus the great diversion he provided at the racetrack with the laundry truck filled with fireworks!

In other movies, Chan's kids have placed themselves in great danger to help their famous father. I think immediately of how Tommy was really roughed up by the diamond smuggling gang in "The Chinese Cat." Also, Lee faced grim consequences in "Charlie Chan at the Olympics."

There are more instances of how Charlie Chan's offspring gave him very real assistance in his cases. Does anyone else have any additional examples?

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Were Charlie's sons helpful?

I know Lee & Tommy [Jimmy] both kicked some serious
Butt In The Feathered Serpent, Thus saving PoP...
and thawrting the criminals as well ..

cheers/mike

Re: Re: Re: Were Charlie's sons helpful?

Duh!!! make that thwarting the criminals.....

cheers/mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Were Charlie's sons helpful?

In The Sky Dragon, Lee is very helpful in the case.