Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CHARLIE CHAN PUZZLE

Here's something for those of you who like puzzles.

Charlie Chan is holding three criminals, one of which, he suspects of robbing the Westfield Bank. Witnesses at the scene all said they did not get a look at the robber because he wore a mask. But they did say the robber drove off in a Dodge. All the suspects have stolen cars so they can not be identified by the registration or title. The suspects' cars were parked outside a restaurant while they sat together inside having dinner. The police know that the suspects live next door to each other in a red house, a blue house, and a green house, but they don't know which house which criminal lives in. From the following clues, can you help Charlie identify the bank robber who drove the Dodge?

1. The three suspects are the suspect that lives in the blue house, Mr Miller, and the driver of the Chevrolet.

2. The suspect that lives in the red house lives next door to the driver of the Ford.

3. The bank robber lives next to the blue house.

4. The driver of the Chevrolet is not Mr. Allen, and does not live in the green house.

I'LL POST THE SOLUTION LATER.

Jack
jack@theofficenet.com

SOLUTION

SOLUTION:

The driver of the Chevrolet is not Mr. Miller(clue 1)or Mr. Allen(clue 4), so he is Mr Bailey. He does not live in the blue house(clue 1) or the green house(clue 4), so he lives in the red house.

Since the driver of the Dodge (the bank robber in clue 3) does not live in the blue house(clue 3) he lives in the green house, and by illimination, the driver of the Ford lives in the blue house.

Since the driver of the Ford lives in the blue house, he is not Mr. Miller(clue 1), so he is Mr. Allen, and the driver of the Dodge is Mr. Miller. Since Mr. Miller owns the Dodge, he is the bank robber.

Re: SOLUTION

Dear Jack,

I just saw that you posted the solution as I was making my post. Having now seen the answer, I'll be able to sleep more peacefully tonight!

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: SOLUTION

Got it!

Any more puzzles like this? I love logic problems!

Re: CHARLIE CHAN PUZZLE

Dear Jack,

You have come up with a toughie! I will see if I can try to come up with an answer tomorrow morning when I have a little time and a clearer brain...that is, unless we already have the answer by then!

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: CHARLIE CHAN PUZZLE

Without looking at the solution (I'll post again after I see if I'm right...)

The robber is Mr. Miller!

SuspectHouseCar
MillerGreenDodge
AllenBlueFord
?RedChevrolet

? = Unnamed third suspect.

Now, let's see how I did...