Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Number Two Son, Jimmy

My warmest greetings! I am delighted to have found this wonderful website! Briefly, I am a lover of
1930's and 1940's movies. However, it wasn't until
recently I finally decided to give Charlie Chan a try. I am hooked. Perhaps it is due to who is playing Charlie Chan when one views a Chan movie for
the first time, because I prefer Sidney Toler, whose
"Murder Over New York," was MY first. I have since
purchased three more, such as: Murder In The Wax Museum, Charlie Chan In Rio, and Castle In The Desert. I have enjoyed them all very much, except
for one little thing which I find annoying, and was
wondering if any other fans felt the same. First of course, when these were filmed, the world was a much different place where racism abounded unfortunately.
I don't doubt Sen Young was a great actor, and was
only following the directions being given him TO follow, yet I find the character he portrays as Jimmy, the Number Two Son, VERY annoying at times. Even very distracting. And irritating---his character he was forced to portray, and NOT Sen Young himself. Having said this, there were indeed some very delightful moments with Jimmy. But the mostly loud rudeness and arrogance his character seems to display to me, at least in the movies I have seen now, is a turn off. Were they attempting
to try to make Jimmy seem funny? I wonder if maybe they went a bit overboard perhaps? Anyone else feel the same, or have anything else to share regarding
this topic? I would love to hear from you. And I
also hope I have not said anything which may upset
any dedicated Jimmy fans out there. I hadn't meant to and please accept my apologies if I have. I am grateful we have this forum available! Wow. I look
forward to "meeting" you all! Thank you!

Re: Number Two Son, Jimmy

Dear Adelaide,

First, WELCOME! It is always a great pleasure to meet a new Charlie Chan fan, and I easily note your excitement regarding the Great Detective! No need to apologize for your observations. They are obviously heartfelt, and are as valid as those of anyone else.

When Warner Oland, the original artor to portray Charlie Chan in the series proper passed away while visiting his native Sweden, the powers that be at Fox studios scrambled to find a suitable actor to resume that role. After testing many actors, Sidney Toler was awarded the part. Originally, Keye Luke was to remain Mr. Chan's Number One Son, but, a contract dispute with 20th Century-Fox (The studio was offering a contract much below what he had been earning, perhaps due to their fear that the series would fail without Warner Oland in the lead role.) resulted in Mr. Luke leaving the series. That resulted in Victor Sen Yung being chosen to play the "new" son who would work alongside his famous Pop. I believe that Jimmy Chan's was purposefully given a different slant, mainly to make him more distinguishable from his "brother" Lee Chan. To me, Jimmy seems to embody the new, "modern" spirit that kids of his generation might have felt. Jimmy has something of a restless energy and an eagerness, perhaps even an OVER-eagerness to do what he can to assist his Pop on the cases they shared, sometimes reluctantly so (at first!) by the elder Chan!

I think that you can see the same energetic spirit that I mention above in other films and film series from the era. Everything from "Our Gang" to "Andy Hardy" contains this youthful optimism, and "look out, world!" enercy, I believe. Yes, there was an aspect of comedy relief that Jimmy offered to audiences of the day, but, truthfully, I have never noted anything remotely demeaning in that aspect of his portrayal. Even Lee Chan (Keye Luke) had similar moments, and, this was only a part of a successful formula that the folks at Fox were following, and the length of the series ceertainly attests to their doing things right, I think.

From the films you mention having viewed thus far, I see that you haven't seen one of the several that actor Harold Huber appeared in. The comments that you offer regarding Jimmy Chan are what many fans of Charlie Chan state regarding Hubers roles in Chan movies. In a couple of pictures, he is VERY frenetic, but, as you suggest, this was due to the director's interpretation of the script, and with comedic relief in mind. So, it isn't just Jimmy who gets into harried situations in Chan films, but, you will find that other characters were called on to bring in lighter moments during Charlie Chan's adventures. Again, this was part of a formula that worked very well, and to this formula, we also see in nearly all Chan films that a love interest was added, sometimes for a son of Charlie Chan, including Jimmy, but more often for another supporting character or characters.

I hope that this has served to answer your questions regarding the treatment of Jimmy Chan on the screen. I think that the more Charlie Chan movies you view, the more that what I have suggested might make more sense to you. Please make your visits to this humble Message Board a habit, and, I also hope that you may try attending one of our Weekly Chats/Film Viewings one evening.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Number Two Son, Jimmy

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to further enlighten me about Mr. Chan's VERY energetic
Number Two Son, Jimmy! I did indeed also recognize
Jimmys' character spoke just as most all young people
spoke during that time, such as the, "Well, gee Pop!"
I am quite sure as I am able to watch more Chan movies, I will get to "meet" other helpful sons, probably just as energetic! Again, thank you for your reply. Now if I have other Charlie Chan questions, I will know where to come!

Re: Re: Re: Number Two Son, Jimmy

Dear Adelaide,

Please feel free to ask away anytime.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick