Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Charlie Chan's Influence in Asia

Jason,
Shouldn't you be posting this question in a forum based in ASIA? Or at least one that's outside the US?

Isn't that your target group?

Virginia

Re: Re: Charlie Chan's Influence in Asia

hi virginia, yeah that's my target group. but i'm just starting my research and wanted to post on this forum because i figured it might be a great starting point, considering it is a forum for and about charlie chan. i'm just trying to get different perspectives on the topic from those willing to share. thanks!

Jason: They probably wouldn't know what anyone was talking about. I doubt if most Asians have even heard of John Wayne! Brittany Spears? Probably!

Met some Asians I like...Met some I don't Like...
I can say the same about EVERY race of people.
I can say with absolute certainty, The Asians that
were involved in discriminating against My favorite
oriental detective [ regardless of who portrayed the
character ] ... I don't Like. George Takei Sucks !!

have a nice day..

Dear Jason,

I can say with great certainty that Charlie Chan was very much welcomed in his "homeland" of China. A few years ago, a gentleman from what is today the Peaple's Republic of China" sent me infprmation regarding the tene-recently republished Earl Derr Biggers Charlie Chan books in Chinese. Also, these stories were popular when originally published decades ago.

In 1937, when Warner Oland and his wife Edith toured China, the actor happily noted that he wa sroundly accepted as one of their own, something for hich he was indeed very proud. Around the same time, two "unauthorized" Charlie Chan movies were produced in Shanghai, China: "Charlie Chan in Homeland," and "Charlie Chan in Radio Station." In these, a Chinese actor named Hsu Hsin-Yuan played the detective.

Last year, when MGM Home Entertainment issued the "Charlie Chan Chanthology" DVD set, a Chinese version was also released in China, one of which I purchased from a gentlemman in Hong Kong. Can anyone recall any negative furor resulting in China following the release of these films on DVD?

I believe it is safe to say that the only negativity regarding Charlie Chan comes from a very vocal yet small,w very vocal, group of people in our midst who, either from ignorance or purpose, forget the great good that the Great Detective did in bringing to western peoples a heightened understanding and acceptance of the Chinese people and their great culture.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

thanks rush for the response! so do you think that the welcoming response by the people asia was because they perhaps saw chan as a role model or at least a person of great influence in america that they could relate to? why else would you think there would be such a positive response to chan in asia? was the negative feedback from asians in america due to the fact that chan portrayed many stereotypical asain features and those asians in america were finding it hard enough to be accepted as is?

Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan's Influence in Asia

Dear Jason,

I believe that Charlie Chan, being a worldwide personality, apopealed to people from many countries and cultures. The fact that he was a Chinese hero was perhaps particularly appealing to Chinese both here in the U.S. as well as those in the "homeland." When Fox released the first Charlie Chan movies, they hoped to also attract a Chinese audience to the films, and, thus they did try to market him to the Chinese community here. Certainly the appeal was felt by Chinese, especially English-speaking Chinese around the world. After all, Chinese heroes in the movies were virtually non-existant prior to the august arrival of charlie Chan!

As for the apparent resentment today among Asian groups, I feel that if one could speak to unbiased members of different Asian communities, very few may even recall who Charlie Chan was. Most of those who do may hold a surprisingly good feeling toward him and the way he was portrayed (as exemplified by those whom I have personally met at Chan screenings at a theater in El Segundo, CA.). Sadly, as is too often the case with activists of most any stripe, their very existance depends on there being discord. If there is a lack of "same," they will assuredly seek out some way in which to fan the flames of division! Personally, I doubt that most of those who are against Charlie Chan have ever REALLY viewed an entire Charlie Chan movie. If they really HAVE watched one or more of them, I doubt that they have taken the time to really analyse the great GOOD that Charlie Chan brought to Chinese and other Asian peoples. One needs only to compare the general perception of Chinese and others in our culture prior to the Charlie Chan series with that after the series gained wide popularity. Charlie Chan became an American icon during the 1930s, and we still appreciate him today, in spite of his misguided detractors...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

I agree 100%, Rush. The "stereotype" that Charlie
represented included love of family, courtesy, hard
work, the importance of education, and the necessity
to think clearly and logically when attempting to
solve a problem.

Alas, the only real flaw in the Chan films is the
dreadful stereotyping of African Americans.

Robbie

Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan's Influence in Asia

Dear Robbie,

While the lot of black actors and actresses was not a happy one overall during the years surrounding the Charlie Chan series, I feel that we should note the great respect that Charlie Chan showed such persons as "Snowshoes" in "Charlie Chan in Egypt" and "Streamline" Jones in "Charlie Chan at the Race Track." The detective made sure to address each of these gentlemen with an article placed before their names, a rarety, to be sure, in that day! "Efendi Snowshoes" and "Mister Streamline" was how Chan addressed both of them.

During the Monogram era, Birmingham Brown was introduced into the mix in the hopes that he would help to attract African Americans to the theaters when Charlie Chan movies were shown! In that day, the antics of Mantan Moreland, Ben Carter, and others, were enjoyed by black audiences, as I understand it. Also, I believe that Steppin Fetchit ("Showshoes" from "CC in Egypt") was one of if not the first black millionare, so, it may be assumed, perhaps that he laughed a bit on his way to the honorable bank.

Agreed, blacks were not treated well both in American society or in the movies during the 1930s and '40s when the Charlie Chan series flourished. However, I feel that we can note a few bright spots within these films that may have, in some small way, helped to eventually usher in a much brighter future.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan's Influence in Asia

Dear Rush,

It's quite true that Charlie treated people of color
with far more respect than did many folks in real
life at that time. Perhaps African Americans found
Stepin Fetchit and Mantan Moreland's antics amusing,
because they themselves had progressed far beyond
such stereotypes. The son of our local Chinese
laundryman was my first "boyfriend" (age 5), and when
we watched the Chan films at his house, his father
would point out when Charlie misquoted one of the
ancient Chinese sages. This did not stop his family
from greatly enjoying the films!

Warm regards,

Robbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan's Influence in Asia

Dear Robbie,

How wonderful that the father of your early "boyfriend" watched Chan with the such a good spirit. I find it wonderful that he "corrected" Mr. Chan's misquotation, and what a great way for young children, such as you and his son were then, to be exposed to an aspect of Chinese culture in that way. I feel that if the misguided detractors of Charlie Chan approached their differences of opinion in a similarly creative manner, not only would our world be a bit more tolerant, but they, too, could allow Chan to actually continue to promote Chinese culture to fans both new and old.

My hat is off, years after the fact, to your friend's father...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan's Influence in Asia

Dear Rush,

Mr. Wong had been a lawyer in Shanghai, but although
his English was quite fluent, he had no desire to
practice law over here. I will always remember the
Chan-like aphorism he gave us following a discussion
about ancestor worship. "Pride in ancestors is no
substitute for good character in oneself".

Warm regards,

Robbie

Hi,

I've said this before, but I don't think there was anything inherently negative or insensitive in Mantan Moreland's appearances.

Mantan was a very funny and capable actor who was used effectively for comic relief. He just happened to be black. His antics aren't any different than those of many other comically oriented actors such as Lou Costello or Herbert Mundin or Huntz Hall all of whom just happened to be white.

Why can't funny just be funny without having to analyze the role of the actor's race, religion, or ethnicity?

Mantan was also given a prominent and meaningful role in the series and was a large contributor to the popularity of the Monograms. To be honest, it is insulting to his memory for a modern day analyst to demean his contributions by placing racial overtones to them.

Regarding Snowshoes and Streamline, Rush's assessment is dead on. Lincoln Perry laughed all the way to the bank during his career and topped it off by receiving the NAACP's "Image" award.

Steve

Dear Steve,

Another thing comes to mind regarding racial issues and movies: How will future generations view the black ("comedies," etc.) and Asian (mattial arts) "exploitation" films that are being pumped out today by movie studios? Stereotypes galore...

Sincerely,
Rush