Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
charlie chan movies

I'm trying to understand how to buy Charlie Chan
movies on DVDs.
I read about two years ago Fox studios would not release Chan movies due to pressure from the Chinese-American community, however I see all 42 Chan movies on DVDs are now available. Are these the real deal? Or are these a bad reproduction from TV telecasts.
Should I buy the collection or not? Thank-you

Re: charlie chan movies

Dear Cyrtus,

It is currently rumored through very reliable sourses that Fox will start releasing their Charlie Chan movies on DVD beginning in March 2006. This will mark the first commercial release of any Charlie Chan films produced by Fox since 1989.

Have you heard about the release of the first six Monogram Charlie Chan movies on DVD by MGM Home Entertainment called the "Charlie Chan Chanthology"? This well-packaged and excellent quality set was made available in the summer of 2004. You can purchace this collection through a number of dealers.

As of now, the only way that you will be able to obtain all of the existing Charlie Chan films is through "grey market" sellers. While the quality of each film certainly varies in any of the "complete" sets offered by these sellers, most of the offerings are certainly not poor in quality. You will find a list of sellers elsewhere at our humble Website by clicking on "Links" located at the top of each page, or you may also use our Directory and click on "Charlie Chan Links" there.

I hope that this has been of some help to you...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: charlie chan movies

Rush Glick,

thank you for your reply. I'm really trying to understand who owns the "rights" to the Charlie Chan movies. I willing to buy the DVDs from Vintage Movies if the quality is good , I just don't know what their source is. How did they get their movies they are selling?
Thanks again. Rock on Charlie!
Cyrtus

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Dear Cyrtus,

It is currently rumored through very reliable sourses that Fox will start releasing their Charlie Chan movies on DVD beginning in March 2006. This will mark the first commercial release of any Charlie Chan films produced by Fox since 1989.

Have you heard about the release of the first six Monogram Charlie Chan movies on DVD by MGM Home Entertainment called the "Charlie Chan Chanthology"? This well-packaged and excellent quality set was made available in the summer of 2004. You can purchace this collection through a number of dealers.

As of now, the only way that you will be able to obtain all of the existing Charlie Chan films is through "grey market" sellers. While the quality of each film certainly varies in any of the "complete" sets offered by these sellers, most of the offerings are certainly not poor in quality. You will find a list of sellers elsewhere at our humble Website by clicking on "Links" located at the top of each page, or you may also use our Directory and click on "Charlie Chan Links" there.

I hope that this has been of some help to you...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: charlie chan movies

Hi,

None of the current DVDs of the Fox Chans are legal. They're all bootlegs. Certainly some, particularly those sold by dennisflicks.com and torysmysterymovies.com are very good quality. They are all sourced from TV showings on the fox movie channel.

The Vintage Playhouse set has been routinely panned for its poor quality.

As Rush said, the official releases are coming soon (probably starting in March) from Fox Home Entertainment. You will get much better quality for a cheaper price. I encourage you to wait for those.

Steve

Re: Re: charlie chan movies

I hope they put a reasonable price on them. The $99.00 is pretty stout.I purchased 50 old horror classics for $19.99. Pretty good quality. A more reasonable price. I think FOX quit showing them so they could sell them, not because of presure from a few Chinese.
Jack

Re: Re: Re: charlie chan movies

Jack Barnes, Does this mean Fox is releasing the Charlie Chan movies for $99.00?
Cyrtus Rodgers

Re: Re: Re: Re: charlie chan movies

NO. I JUST SEE THAT IS WHAT OTHERS WANT FOR THEM.
http://www.thevintagetheatre.com/charliechan.html

I GUESS IT IS REASONABLE, BUT AFTER ALL THEY ARE 60 YEARS OLD. IT IS MORE THAN I CAN AFFORD.
JACK