Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Whew!

Hi Steve:

I agree with you that part of the problem for the low Amazon pre-sales ranking must be because Fox is not promoting this set. Perhaps that will change as we get closer to distribution date, but I tend to doubt it if history serves as any indication. It's likely Fox doesn't want any adverse publicity similar to what they experienced a couple years ago with the aborted Charlie Chan Film Festival n FoxTV. Where they had already spent a fair amount re-mastering the original prints into digital format, they're just probably looking to re-coup some of that with us "die-hard" Chan fans, and they sure don't need to spend any advertising dollars on us. I sure hope they release the remaining Fox Chan's on DVD sets in short order, but much will depend on how successful this first installment is.

Another point I agree with is that the bootleg set of 36 is featured on top of the Fox set when one does a search for "Charlie Chan" on Amazon's site. Where that set is listed with an as-low-as price $49.95, some folks may be thinking that is a better deal.

Now I am guilty as some others on this board in that I purchased the DVD set of 42 from Vintage Theater last year, before the rumors started circulating that Fox was planning on releasing the Chan films on DVD. Although the picture and sound quality varies from film to film, I have enjoyed watching these classics over the past few months. I noticed that a copy of the Vintage Theater "Platinum" edition sold on E-Bay this week for $123, which is considerably more than the price featured on their website ($89.95).

However, I do intend to pre-order the Fox sets, as well as purchase the Toler Monograms that were released by MGM in the Chanthology set last year. I'm curious if MGM plans to release the remaining Monograms in similar sets - have you heard anything here?

Re: Re: Re: Whew!

Dear Roy,

Fox has not, as yet, officially announced anything, and, therefore, I cannot say any more than what is already publicly "known" regarding the release of any DVDs. You could be correct in your assumption that they are a little leary of too much advance publicity, seeing as how they caved so quickly to pressure a few years ago. However, I am certain that sales will be even better than those of the MGM set when and if the ball does get rolling; note the continued interest in the "Chanthology" set.

The rights to the rest of the Monogram Chan films are held by Warner Brothers. Rumor, and again, I stress rumor, has it that they may be seeking to release their holdings sometime in 2007. The "Chanthology" set featured the first six Monograms, while the remaining 11 are in the hands of Warner. I would guess that they will see the good business sense of offering these for sale to the public based on recent sales, and, hopefully future sales, of Chan material. Interestingly, of note, is the fact that Warner holds the rights to US and Canadian release of "The Black Camel." What could happen there would be anyone's guess!

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: Whew!

Thanks for the info Rush!

Upon reading your response, it jogged my memory that Steve had also provided some info earlier on Warner owning the last 11 Monograms and "The Black Camel".

Thanks to both of you for keeping the rest of us perpetually "up to date".