Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BEWARE of The Vintage Playhouse and their "The Charlie Chan Collection"

Here is a copy of the message I sent to The Vintage Playhouse regarding their "The Charlie Chan Collection"

Hello:

I returned 4 cases (12 discs) of "The Charlie Chan Collection--Platinum Edition" because of quality issues. (There was only a partial picture (1/2
to 3/4 screen greened/blued out). The set I was resent has EXACTLY the same issues. [Author's note: This is SECOND SET with exactly the same issues!] I really, really am a fan of this movie series, and you all seem to have the best selection. I know it's not my DVD player, as the Roland Winters films (discs 13 and 14) play perfectly--which I kept. Also, I have
a lot of DVD-R TV shows ("Batman, Green Hornet," etc.) which play fine on my player (Toshiba SD-V280).

Apparently there was some snafu, and a set was sent back to me, but was lost. Then another set was sent, which was signed for by my apartment manager, but was not received by me until a week later (manager's fault--not yours or mine). Anyway, what can I do here? (It's already cost me $9 dollars to send the set back originally on RMA#CCEXCH0016.) I don't have a lot of money to be resend the discs to you again. Is there anyway you can provide a prepaid return?

Also, I would need the discs checked before
they're sent out. I can't see just giving up, here. Am I the only one with issues with "The Charlie Chan Collection--Platinum Edition"? Again, discs
13 and 14 (Roland Winters' Chan) play perfectly, so the problem can't be with my player.

Thanks for you help,

Teil B. Jorgensen

[Author's note: It appears I am out over $120]

Vintage Playhouse reply:

This is definitely a compatibility issue. You are only about the 8th person to have this problem with this collection. The other shows you have may be
printed on DVD+R which is more compatible with Toshiba Units. The unit you mentioned the SD-V280 is somewhat buggy for playing DVD-R Media.

[Author's note: This is totally wrong, as I can play DVD-R with no problem. Their discs are scratched and their so-called customer service is worse!!!]

Re: BEWARE of The Vintage Playhouse and their "The Charlie Chan Collection"

Dear Teil,

First, have you tried playing any discs on another DVD player, a friend's, perhaps? You may try that first. However, in any case, if they don't play successfully on your player, that does you no good. Next, have you requested a refund, upon return of the latest set that you have on hand? If not, you might try that, and then work through another seller whose product might be more compatible with your DVD player.

Please let me know how things eventually work out. If not in a way that makes you happy, please forward contact information to me and I will see what I can do, as I believe that we currently include this seller on our list of dealers of Charlie Chan movies at this Website (Charlie Chan LINKS page). I have a feeling that they will wish to uphold their reputation as a seller, especially as authorized commercial high quality - releases of Charlie Chan films loom on the entertainment horizon. In the end, all you want is a set of films that you are able to watch and enjoy.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: BEWARE of The Vintage Playhouse and their "The Charlie Chan Collection"

Hello Rush,

Thank you for your input. I did have a friend try the discs on his two "high tech" players with unacceptable results. The only discs which played were those containing the Roland Winters' Chans. These were actually very excellent copies, and I enjoyed them. As I've mentioned before, poor Roland sure got lambasted by the critics. I thought the films were just fine. (Certainly, not the quality of the Oland or early Toler Chans, but fine for the programmers they were.)

Anyway, the vendor has contacted me and offered a refund. (I think the posting might have led them to do the "right thing.") So, I've spent another $9 to return the discs. (I await with bated breath for a refund!)

Regards,

Teil

Hi Teil,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Unfortunately you are not the only person who has experienced problems with this vendor. There have been several unfavorable reports at another message board about them as well.

Obviously these are not legal releases so buyer beware. I've obtained DVDs from various "grey" market sources and there is definitely a wide range of quality and compatibility out there.

If you are successful in securing a refund, I might suggest that you look into purchasing the official releases from Fox which are due to start being released in 3 weeks. These will certainly play on your player with no problems and be of much higher quality.

Good luck!

Steve

Thank you, Steve for your input. I am a fan of the Monogram Toler and PRC(?) Winters versions, too. (Poor Roland sure got a bum wrap, in my opinion!)

Hi Teil,

I am a fan of the Monogram Winters also. While his films did not have the production values of the earlier Fox films, Winters certainly brought his own unique style, and I like his wry wit as well. His "so much for so much" cracks me up.

The addition of Tim Ryan to the series was also a plus in my opinion.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I agree with you. My favorite was The "Sky Dragon" (1949). It was the best of the Winter's Chans, I believe. (Most of the critics say this was the nadir of the series, though. How can they say that about any movie with Elena Vedugo???;>)

~Teil

Re: Re: Re: BEWARE of The Vintage Playhouse and their "The Charlie Chan Collection"

Not to mention that it had Keye Luke as # 1 son to help with the plane!

Re: Re: Re: Re: BEWARE of The Vintage Playhouse and their "The Charlie Chan Collection"

Dear Teil,

I am very happy to note that you will apparently be receiving a refund, and that the seller in question is going to do the right thing. Grey market or no, most sellers have a reputation to uphold. I fully agree with Steve about buying authorized commercial releases whenever possible. Perhaps in a couple of years most, if not all, Charlie Chan films will be so available. Sadly, this is not the case at this time, prompting any of us who wish to have the entire series (minus, of course the four "lost" cousins) to seek them out wherever we can. Personally, I look at the grey market as a temporary measure until authorized material becomes available.

Teil, I am in total agreement with your feelings regarding Roland Winters and his portrayal of Charlie Chan. I have said this many times, but Mr. Winters had TWO pairs of very big shoes to fill. Chan fans knew Chan as he was portrayed by Warner Oland and then Sidney Toler. Winters had a huge task ahead of him when he took on the psrt, and I feel that he did a wonderful job. His Charlie Chan has a feel that was certainly based in large measure to the Chan as portrayed in the original stories by Earl Derr Biggers. We have to remember that, in those days (the late 1940s) one could not simply throw a tape or DVD into a player and watch a movie to see any details as to how a character was portrayed! At best, he was able to watch some private screenings of Toler Monogram Chans at Monogram studios.

Again, I am happy to hear the good news, and please let us know if there is any unwarranted delay in receiving your refund.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BEWARE of The Vintage Playhouse and their "The Charlie Chan Collection"

Thank you, Rush, for your solicitous responses! You have a very helpful forum! ~Teil

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BEWARE of The Vintage Playhouse and their "The Charlie Chan Collection"

Dear Teil,

"Thank you so much" for your kind words. Please join us, if you can, for our Chat and Film Viewing tomorrow (Monday) evening - "Charlie Chan's Secret."

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: BEWARE of The Vintage Playhouse and their "The Charlie Chan Collection"

Yes, indeed, a very able "Number One Son."