Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Another Chan Review

Dear Steve,

Thank you for sharing this review with us.

So true. Yes, I feel the same as you, and probably many others do, regarding the little negatives that some reviewers have decided to add to their critiques of the "Charlie Chan Collection, Volume One." But, don't we see this in too much of the media these days, where a personal or group agenda sadly rears its ugly head at awkward times?

To illustrate the effect of this negative spin, which reached its zenith three years ago with the Fox Movie Channel debacle, I can relate a short story of what happened when I purchased two sets of the Chan DVDs yesterday at a local Costco. Both the checker and bagger noticed what I was buying, as this was the extent of the sale. As he placed the two sets into a bag, the bagger said something to the effect: "Ah, the 'good old days' when white people played Asians..." Of course I posed the rhetorical question that in 1931 who of Chinese or Asian decent could have played the role AND drawn an audience to watch the films? I reminded him, and he agreed, of course, that times were a bit different more than seven decdes ago.

Of course, there are many more such persons who have only heard the negative propaganda that has been spread by a few special interest groups and a seemingly eager media. However, as you mention, the good news is the vast number of persons who are snatching up the "Charlie Chan Collection," and who also continue to buy the "Charlie Chan Chanthology," released by MGM Home Entertainment TWO YEARS AGO.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Another Chan Review

(Rush, as always) I think that really nails it.
I can't help but think that 3~ years of hype may effectively be driving sales... both among cine-curious and fearful fans. For me, the biggest punch is that fears that Chan would move quietly into the dark are quelled... in no small part due to communities like this one that keep the potentials and excitement alive!