Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Opinions ON Other Charlie Chan Actors

Hi Sam,

I've not seen the Ross Martin movie and have only seen brief moments of the Naish TV show, but I have watched the other two.

One can enjoy the Ustinov movie if you don't treat it as a Chan movie but view it as '70s kitsch/fluff. It has some good actors in it that make it a tolerable viewing experience. Had the script been written straight Ustinov might have been a good Chan, but I can not in good conscience call him Chan in the sense that Oland was. The DVD cost me something like $6 and it had some interesting featurettes about the low budget studio that made the movie so I feel I got my money's worth.

Murder By Death is one of my favorite movies and despite some qualms with the language in it, I can watch it repeatedly. The only downside to the Sellers portrayal is that some unenlightened folks have taken his farcical over the top portrayal & make-up and assumed that this applied to the Chan series proper. I can't tell you how frustrating it was to see papers like USA Today and others say that the Chan movies featured an actor in yellow make-up and buck teeth.

Steve

PS - got your e-mail...thanks, if you ever change your mind, the offer is still open.