Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why Wasn't Behind The Curtain (1929) included as part of Fox's Charlie Chan Collection Vol. One ?

I watched the featurette"In Search Of Charlie Chan" and they showed scenes from "Behind That Curtain"(1929) starring Warner Baxter with E.L. Park as Charlie Chan. I am curious why Fox didn't include the full movie of "Behind That Curtain" as an extra like they did with "Eran Trece"? Now I know Charlie Chan only was in the movie for a few minutes but still it IS A CHARLIE CHAN MOVIE based on a Earl Derr Biggers novel. I can't see Fox releasing this title solo and it just makes sense to include it as part of "The Charlie Chan Collection" even though it does not star either Warner Oland or Sidney Toler but then again neither one appears on "Eran Trece". Rush, Do you know why Fox didn't include this movie?

Re: Why Wasn't Behind The Curtain (1929) included as part of Fox's Charlie Chan Collection Vol. One

Dera Sam,

"Behind That Curtain" was not included because that film was not a part of the Charlie Chan series proper. That is, yes, it was based on a Charlie Chan novel by Earl Derr Biggers, but, as you have seen if you have seen this film, Mr. Chan, played very haltingly by E.L. Park, appears only at the very end of the picture and for only about five minutes total. As was the case in the early efforts to put Mr. Biggers' Chan stories on the big screen, the tales bore only a surface resemblance to the original stories, whith Charlie Chan himself relegated to a minor role.

I hope that this quick explanation helps. In my humble opinion the right decision was made in not including "Behind That Curtain" in the box set DVD collections. Perhaps it could turn up as an "extra" in some future release, but it would only be as something of a footnote in Charlie Chan lore and history.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Why Wasn't Behind The Curtain (1929) included as part of Fox's Charlie Chan Collection Vol. One

Behind that Curtain is a fairly reliable cure for insomnia. It might appeal to horror fans as Karloff has an early (but small) role in it, but that's about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an "extra" either, but if Fox does go that route, I hope it is on the last box set as anyone unfamiliar with Chan would get the wrong impression from watching it and perhaps not seek out the films from the series proper.

Re:When is volume 2 scheduled/expected to be released?Thx! (NT)