Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Meeting At Midnight" Public Domain Status?

For many years, the Monogram Charlie Chan Film,"Meeting At Midnight" was the only Public Domain Chan, available on atrocious EP VHS Tapes. How did that Chan Movie get in the public domain in the first place? I have noticed that recently it is only available on MGM Home Video and not on PD DVD's like that one Mr. Moto Film. Is it no longer in the Public Domain? I am surprised that it is not on a dozen different PD Budget DVD labels, but happy it is not.

Re: "Meeting At Midnight" Public Domain Status?

Hi Sam,

"Meeting at Midnight"/"Black Magic" is not currently a PD film which accounts for the lack of many budget releases of this title.

In fact there is some doubt that it ever was PD which may be the reason that any of the earlier releases you referred to have gotten pulled. Any such releases must have had limited distribution as I don't recall ever seeing any of those in my area. In those early days of VHS all I ever bought were public domain titles as that was all I could afford. I have some not so fond memories of having to pay six or seven dollars just for a blank tape which would be reused over and over again.

Steve