Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Surprising Moto/Chan Connection!

Wow, I must of watched that movie 20 times and never saw that!!!

Re: Re: Surprising Moto/Chan Connection!

Dear Masked Wacko,

Yes, your eyes were not playing tricks on you. Warner Oland and Keye Luke were slated to be in "Charlie Chan in Honolulu." Unfortunately, with the untimely passing of Oland, Sidney toler was chosen (from more than 30 who tried out for the role) to be Charlie Chan. Fox then offered Keye Luke less pay to resume the role of Lee Chan, perhaps thinking that the series would be less popular without Oland as Chan. Of course, Mr. Luke declined under those circumstances and Victor Sen Yung was added as Number Two Son Jimmy, and the rest, as they say, is history...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Re: Surprising Moto/Chan Connection!

I love these references to other movies . . . like Charlie/Oland asking Lee/Luke if he was in Shanghai about "oil for the lamps of China".

Clearly a reference to the movie with that title that Keye Luke had just made!

Virginia

Re: Re: Re: Re: Surprising Moto/Chan Connection!

Dear Virginia,

That's right! That was a fun moment in "Charlie Chan in Shanghai," as was the reference to the character Fu Manchu, which Warner Oland had previously played which was pointed to in the little song, "Princess Ming Lo Fu," that Charlie Chan sang to the group of children aboard the ship to Shanghai.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Surprising Moto/Chan Connection!

This is a major reason why I love our Monday Night Chats . . . Everybody has something to contribute so we all benifit!