Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oland as Fu Manchu

Hi folks:

Does anyone on this board know if the 3 Fu Manchu films that Warner Oland starred in between 1929-31 are available on DVD? I watched "The Mask of Fu Manchu" for the first time last night with Boris Karloff in the title role, and was curious if anyone knows if the Oland films have yet been distributed.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Oland as Fu Manchu

Dear Roy,

I believe that the films would be available through the "grey market." I received a gift of "The Mysterious Dr. Fu Manchu" from a friend for Christmaswhich came from Sinister Cinema. Very good quality.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Oland as Fu Manchu

Thanks for this info, Rush. I just checked out Sinister Cinema - lots of old forgotten classics out there. Unfortunately I couldn't find Oland's The Mysterious Dr. Fu Manchu" - perhaps sold out all his copies.

I will keep looking though as I would sure love to get my hands on this along with Oland's "Return of Fu Manchu" and "Daughter of the Dragon".

Thanks again! Have fun at the weekly Chan meet tonight and give my best to all!

- Roy Webber

Re: Re: Re: Oland as Fu Manchu

Dear Roy,

Perhaps you can email them with the titles that you would like to find.

Sincerely,
Rush

I've never seen these films, but I understand that a certain adult oriented magazine published with a well known fondness of classic films is a fan and he paid to have them restored and preserved. (He also contributed heavily to the restoration of the Sherlock Holmes series.)

I read on a classic horror board that the copies selling on ebay are quite good. There is some speculation that these copies are derived from the restorations noted above.

Re: Re: Oland as Fu Manchu

I got a copy of "Daughter of the Dragon" from www.marscollective.com but the picture quality was mediocre. It obviously was transferred from VHS, but I guess it was still watchable.

Hey Roy.....its yur brudda