Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Missing Part in Charlie Chan at the Opera DVD?

Hi again. Thanks for the welcome, Rush.

Unfortunately, I think I might be crazy after all I did see that part with the stage manager mentioning Frankenstein later on in the movie but that wasn't the part that I was remembering.

I could've sworn that one of the guards said something like "You act like Frankenstein was in there" to the other guard at the very beginning of the movie..just as they show Boris Karloff playing the piano.

I know it sounds crazy, but I was wondering if they either edited it out of the dvd or for some reason there might be two versions of the movie, one that got that added line later on and that's what I saw on the Fox movies channel. I don't see why either one of those possibilities would've happened, though.

Thanks anyway, though. It's just weird.

Re: Missing Part in Charlie Chan at the Opera DVD?

Hi Randy,

You are not alone in remembering scenes that never existed. Very often I combine elements of two separate films and create a scene that I am sure I saw somewhere only to be surprised when I eventually see the film in question and realize it is my feeble aging brain playing tricks on me. :)

Another good example is the urban legend that Mantan Moreland said "Feets Don't Fail Me Now" in a Chan film. People swear up and down they've seen this yet there is not a single shot in any Chan film that matches this and nobody can cite a single Moreland film that has this line. It's like the line that Bogie never said "Play it again, Sam".

Perhaps the scene you remember occured in another Karloff film? It does seem like the Frankenstein reference was used on multiple occasions as a comic in-joke reference.

Steve