Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Charlie Chan is Dead (No he's not!)

Dear Rush: Your very kind offer sounds great. Here is my plan. I mount the photos on a display. I also add the bios of the actors who have played Charlie Chan. I might even add a CD to play some of his sayings for people. I only have a week to put this all together. Wish me luck. I better get to it right now. I look forward to receiving your pictures. Sincerely yours, Russell Rubert

Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan is Dead (No he's not!)

Dear Rush: My plan is already in motion. I hope you don't mind, but I gleaned a lot of the facts and figures from your site to put together my display.
I added to your Who is Charlie Chan? feature with the following: A master detective who was born in China and immigrated to Hawaii with his honorable parents at an early age? A faithful husband and proud patriarch of a "multitudinous family" of fourteen children? A courteous, dignified gentleman, who always had appropriate words of wisdom poised at the tip of his tongue? A world traveler, who solved crimes not only in Hawaii, but on the mainland and in Europe, Mexico, Central and South America, and China?
An apparent teetotaler, who would, when in a bar, order sarsaparilla? In truth, Charlie Chan was all of these and more... The fictional detective Charlie Chan has been attacked and vilified as a negative stereotype in recent years. Nothing could be further from the truth. When Charlie first appeared in print and in movies the stereotype was one of inscrutable villainy. The insidious Fu Man Chu, the dreaded Ming of Mongo or one of subservience, the Chinese houseboy, the broken English speaking laundryman. Inspector Chan changed all that. He was in command. An intelligent, thoughtful, amiable, brilliant and respected police detective. His sons and daughters often serving as comic relief also served as examples of typical American children complete with all the slang of the era. Charlie Chan was a great step forward and remains today one of the classic great detectives of literature and film. My "History Day" is next Saturday. I will take a photograph of my Charlie Chan display. Sincerely yours, Russell Rubert

Re: Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan is Dead (No he's not!)

Dear Russell,

I am not certain whetner you needed me to send you some images or not. I will send as needed, of course! Your idea sounds great, and I wouls be honored to have the opportunity to help you, if you like. Please let me know what sorts of images you need.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan is Dead (No he's not!)

Dear Rush: "Thank you so much" for your kind offer. I was however, able to copy all I needed and am in the process of putting the collage together. I've included bios of the 3 film Chan actors. Many photos from the Oland and Toler eras and a few of Winters thrown in for good measure. There is even a mention of the 1970s TV movie and 1950s series. I hope people like it. "History Day" is next Saturday, April 14. I'll let you know how people take to it. Sincerely yours, Russell Rubert

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan is Dead (No he's not!)

Dear Russell,

Thank YOU for the fine presentaton that you are putting together! Please let any of us who frequent this humble Message Board know if we might be of any help.

Sincerely,
Rush