Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Keeper of the Keys

Dear Ron,

The book that you purchased was the sixth and final Charlie Chan story written by his creator, Earl Derr Biggers. Sadly, Mr. Biggers passed away the next year. The book you have would probably be the first edition, as 1932 was the year that the story was published. Also, this was the only Charlie Chan story that was not made into a film.

As the inscription reads "1936," that was probably when the book was purchased as a gift. Condition is always important as to value, and if the book still has its original dust cover can increase monetary value, although I will say that the value will not be huge in any case, May I add, however, that the true value can lie in the enjoyment that you find in owning and reading "Keeper of the Keys," an enjoyable mystery story featuring America's greatest detective.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Keeper of the Keys

Thank you very much for responding. I figured the monetary value would not be much...however I was very excited about finding a first addition. I have never had the oportunity to read this novel...no money at all can compare to that pleasure.....I think I'll hang on to the book for some time....Thanks again..Ron..Portland, OR

Odd, but I'm rereading it again, now. At Chapter 6. I
DON'T like the Book, &, seem to feel I'm very glad it
WASN'T "movieized." Someone pls. dissuade me.

Re: Re: Keeper of the Keys

Dear Mr. Bloomberg,

Of course, there would be some changes made in any "movieized" version of "Keeper of the Keys." There are twists, turns, and suspects in the story, but it was not an action story. I feel that a small part of the story was used as a part of the basis of "Charlie Chan in Reno," but just a snippet. I still think that it could have been made into a film, but, perhaps the folks at Fox felt similarly to you on the matter!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

I read Chapter 7. I aborted! 10/4.