Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chan Initiation

Dear Gary,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. I am sure that there are others, such as your friend, who have been unduly influenced by the prejudiced image of Charlie Chan that is put out these days in much of the popular media.

If your colleague enjoyed the two Monogram Chan films you offered him, he will certainly be pleased after seeing a few of the Fox films.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Chan Initiation

I loaned the fellow CHARLIE CHAN AT THE CIRCUS and THE SHANGHAI COBRA over this past weekend. When he returned them today, he informed me that his 16-year-old daughter, who "hates" black-and-white films, also watched both (even watched SHANGHAI twice). Maybe I shouldn't have been, but I was stunned. Does anyone know any other teenagers who like Chan films?

Re: Re: Re: Chan Initiation

Dear Gary,

The children of one of our Chat regulars, Joanne, enjoy watching Charlie Chan films, often noting historical content. Also, another Chat regular, Evan, has children who enjoy Charlie Chan.

Yes, there is hope...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chan Initiation

I was hooked at age 12 myself.

Every Sunday morning during the early 1980's, one of the local channels used to have what they called "Charlie Chan Theater" that ran for an hour and a half.

Still remember the first one I saw: "Charlie Chan's Secret". I remember it well in that it intrigued me not only with it's case, but also the technology (the ultra violet light, the music "repeater" that actually broadcasted on it's own frequency - in 1936, no less!).

That, and it was - and is - the scariest Chan film, IMO. It STILL makes my heart race when I watch it.

And it remains my favorite to this day. Can't watch "Charlie Chan's Secret" unless it's night time and all the lights are turned off.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chan Initiation

Welcome to the Club!

Virginia
aka Mrs. Lowell