Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
44 films vs. 47 films...

Another wonderful question that seems to arise. When some people review the series of Charlie Chan, they talk about the films that run from 1931-49 and have Oland, Toler and Winters as Chan. Others I have seen refer to the series as forty-seven movies, including the three early Chan films (Behind That Curtain, House Without a Key and Chinese Parrot)

So here's the question: What do you consider a Chan movie? Does Eran Trece count in your opinion? Do the early Chans? How about the movies made later, such as CC and the Curse of the Dragon Queen? Are there 44 films in the series, 47, or more than 47, and why do you feel that way?

Now I know most people would not consider CC and the Dragon Queen as a Chan film, but it's a good point to bring up. (I recently saw this one and it was extremely funny, but it was fairly obvious that it was a spoof).

The question is: What litmus test do you use to discern a movie as a "Chan" film?

Re: 44 films vs. 47 films...

Broadly speaking, I would consider any movie to be a Chan film if it has Charlie Chan in it and it was made from or based on the Earl Derr Biggers Books.
All serious film projects count, which would include the George Kuwa and Kamiyama Sojin Silents, Behind That Curtain and the missing Oland/Chans.
Spoofs don't count unless you like 'em.
Practically speaking, I only count the ones that I have been able to add to my collection over the years from Behing That Curtain to Roland Winters' Sky Dragon.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Virginia

Re: 44 films vs. 47 films...

Dear Steve,

A good question. For me, the focus is on the Charlie Chan SERIES, that began with "Charlie Chan Carries On" in 1931 and ended in 1949 with "The Sky Dragon." "Other Chan films are interesting, and sometimes worthy, in my humble opinion, but, it was with the series proper that the charlie Chan as we know him existed as a serious, main character.

"Eran Trece" is an interesting case. As it was made by the same film studio that made the original film upon which is is practically a mirror image, "Charlie Chan Carries On," it can be argued for inclusion as a bonafide Charlie Chan film, or at least a window through which we can get a good glimpse of the "parent" film.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick