Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 44 films vs. 47 films...

Broadly speaking, I would consider any movie to be a Chan film if it has Charlie Chan in it and it was made from or based on the Earl Derr Biggers Books.
All serious film projects count, which would include the George Kuwa and Kamiyama Sojin Silents, Behind That Curtain and the missing Oland/Chans.
Spoofs don't count unless you like 'em.
Practically speaking, I only count the ones that I have been able to add to my collection over the years from Behing That Curtain to Roland Winters' Sky Dragon.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Virginia

Re: 44 films vs. 47 films...

Dear Steve,

A good question. For me, the focus is on the Charlie Chan SERIES, that began with "Charlie Chan Carries On" in 1931 and ended in 1949 with "The Sky Dragon." "Other Chan films are interesting, and sometimes worthy, in my humble opinion, but, it was with the series proper that the charlie Chan as we know him existed as a serious, main character.

"Eran Trece" is an interesting case. As it was made by the same film studio that made the original film upon which is is practically a mirror image, "Charlie Chan Carries On," it can be argued for inclusion as a bonafide Charlie Chan film, or at least a window through which we can get a good glimpse of the "parent" film.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick