Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: A Question For Steve O?

Thanks Steve O for the info! Is there really a difference between "Digitally Remastered" and "Digitally Mastered"? I have seen both of those expressions used? I have always thought that "Digitally Mastered" meant that it was mastered from a film print derived from the original negative while "Digitally Remastered" meant that they used a computer to remove any imperfections from an existing film print which has been run through many a film projectors?

Re: A Question For Steve O?

Hi Sam,

I see "digitally mastered" "remastered" as meaning essentially the same thing (transferring film to the digital domain). By definition all DVDs are digitally mastered.

"Restoration" is the process of returning a film to its original condition (or close to it as possible). A film can be digitally remastered but not restored. Restoration is very expensive and is typcially done for major studio releases (Fox, Warner, Paramount) and not done for the $1 DVDs, Alpha type releases.

Steve