Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum, one of my personal favorites

This Memorial Day the featured Charlie Chan film was Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum. It just so happens that this movie along with Charlie Chan at Treasure Island are my absolute favorites of the series. O yes there are many other great entrees, but I have a special liking for these two. They really stand out. The Wax Museum I am especially fond of for all the great character actors in the cast: C. Henry Gordon as Dr. Cream, Michael Visaroff as Dr. Otto von Brom, Hilda Vaughn as Mrs. Joe Rocke, Marguerite Chapman as Mary Bolton, Marc Lawrence as Steve McBirney and Joan Valerie as Lily Latimer are all wonderful in their roles. Victor Sen Yung as Jimmy Chan is in top form as both comic relief and Charlie's assistant. Not to mention Charles Wagenheim as the unhinged caretaker Willie Fern. The plot elements big and small, such as the challenge, the Crime Club radio program, the dark and stormy night, the creepy wax museum, the electrified chair, the blowgun death weapon. It was chock full of great things that make it to my mind a classic among Chan films. You can’t get much better then that. Of course getting stuck in the middle of the desert at some eye patch wearing guy’s own private castle with people getting bumped off one by one isn’t a bad idea for a story, but everything really comes together for this one. I always get a chuckle at the final scene where Charlie gets an accidental kick in the pants. Now there would be a great collectable prop to have. Just think of it, if only that wax figure of Sidney Toler as Charlie Chan were still around.