Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Charlie Chan in Egypt" and "Snowshoes in the Desert"

Dear Rush:As I watched "Charlie Chan in Egypt" Monday night (I got started a bit later then 8:30) I couldn't help but conclude that it is one of the films that helped solidify Charlie Chan's reputation as an admirable sleuth and globetrotter, two of the main elements that made his adventures so attractive. After all, at the time Egypt was a place of particular exotic mystery and allure, Carter having discovered King Tut's tomb not so many years before this film was made. What seems like just another romantic locale to us must have seemed ten times so to the moviegoers of the day. Of special note is the welcome and respect Charlie receives from the local authorities. Of course there is the matter of the absence of # 1 son Lee who is mentioned briefly. Thomas Beck and "Snowshoes" took his assisting and comic relief duties. Although I would have preferred Lee's presence the Tom Evans character is a worthy substitute; in fact Lee's absence does serve to show that Charlie is a force to be reckoned with on his own. Take note the scene where he wields a gun. In other words, this is how he does it when his sons are not around. An almost no nonsense approach. As for Stepin Fetchit, I never did understand his appeal. I always cringed when I saw him on the screen. I don't understand why anybody would be named "Snowshoes". What kind of name is that? At least Birmingham could be a name. I have since learned of Lincoln Perry, who became Stepin Fetchit and the arguments that he was a pioneer and shouldn't be judged by today's standards. I am sure there is some truth to that. But like the figure of the Negro with the big toothy grin eating watermelon it's a hard image to look at. As for the murderer, Frank Conroy was excellent as Professor Thurston, it was a great climax and even though I've seen the film a number of times before I somehow managed to not realize it was him. Go figure.

Re: Re: "Charlie Chan in Egypt" and "Snowshoes in the Desert"

Dear Russell,

Another great analysis on your part. Thank you for this and the effort that you always put into your informative posts.

"Charlie Chan in Egypt," as you mention, did much to show Charlie Chan to be an INTERNATIONAL detective. Just imagine, from humble beginnings in the Honolulu of the time to flying or sailing off to the far flung corners of the globe to solve crime! Uniquely Charlie Chan.

Actually, "Egypt" was the third of a connected "series" of movies that began with "Charlie Chan in London" and contiunes with "Charlie Chan in Paris." In the next movie, "Charlie Chan in Shanghai," we see Mr. Chan on the road once again. In fact, from this time forward, the moments are fairly rare when we even see Charlie Chan "back home." Egypt did, indeed, offer a very exotic, mysterious locale. It was not too many years following the opening of Tutankhamen's tomb that this film was shot. In fact, the opening sequences seem to borrow imagery and from the Carter discovery, not to mention alleged curses.

While the presence of "Snowshoes" in "Charlie Chan in Egypt," it seems that by the last moments of the film the door was being left open for his return, as he mentions that he will follow Mr. Chan.

Thank you, once again...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick