Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fox Warehouse Fire of 1937

I looked up the movie in the Time Article on Internet Movie Database. Here is the link...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929419/

Thus, according to IMDB the Hsin Hwa Motion Picture Company was making films in the late 1930s.

They also made "The Adventures of Chinese Tarzan" in 1940. This shows that the company was doing copies of Hollywood films during this period.

See this link...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0270187/

The Hsin Hwa Motion Picture Company released a picture in 1981. It was a Hong Kong/Taiwan production. I wonder if the older films from this production company were mostly...

1. Destroyed in the war
2. Taken somewhere (or perhaps destroyed?) by the communist government
3. Taken to Hong Kong or Taiwan
4. None of the above

"The Adventures of Chinese Tarzan" (1940) received 15 votes on IMDB, so someone has seen this one recently.

I wonder about the two Chinese Chan films and any prints from Hollywood that may have served to inspire their creation. I realize this is grasping at straws, but since looking for the Chinese films would be interesting too, it would be worthwhile also to ask about any other Chan prints possibly held by this production company.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fox Warehouse Fire of 1937

Special thanks to Douglas and Steve for their responses.

During the 1960s and 1970s a massive, and I mean MASSIVE undertaking took place to find films that had earned the undesireable status as 'lost or missing.' Studios such as Fox, MGM, Paramount, etc. were now more than willing to shell out big bucks to locate films missing from their vaults. They finally got the message that these films had historical value.

While companies such as Fox and others were busy trying to locate highly sought after films(including the lost Chans), various film historians and researchers were conducting their own intensive searches. The most notable of these was writer/researcher Jon Tuska who believed the most obvious place to look for the lost Chans outside of the United States would be in China. This was in the 1970s and optimism was still high, while looking for the four missing Oland Chans, Jon came across two Chinese-produced Chans, it is unclear whether these were the actual films or records of their having been made. Jon may infact be the only person in the western part of the world to have actually viewed these films. It's disappointing to report that not a trace of the lost Oland Chans could be found at that time.

Also, in the 1970s Jon Tuska interviewed Spencer G. Bennet who directed the very first Chan film, 'House Without a Key.' Jon may be the person to ask if there have been any recent developments regarding these still missing Chan films.

On a more positive note it would be interesting if any of our Spanish-speaking friends could do some research for us concerning a 1955 Mexican Chan film called: El Monstruo En La Sombra (The Monster in the Shadow). This film definitely does exist and has been shown on television throughout the Spanish-speaking world, numerous times over the years.