Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Docks of New Orleans"

Although this film is misnamed, the action taking place so briefly on the docks, it does have a number of redeeming qualities. It has an interesting and timely plot involving cold war-like pirating of an important poison gas formula. It has a number of suspects, an unusual murder weapon gimmick and the usual clueless local authorities. Mantan Moorland as Birmingham Brown is allowed a moment to shine with another of his amusing comic word play routines. Both he and Jimmy/Tommy get to contribute a bit to the proceedings. In fact, Birmingham is downright gung ho about getting involved in the case, as opposed to his past “feet don’t fail me now” attitude. Its main problem stems the unfortunate lack of warm family moments and references that made Chan so endearing as a family man. While Charlie is given the stinging barb lines to chastise his son it is forgotten to give him the more tender moments to soften the sting. Roland Winters handles himself admirably with some solid detective work and a cleaver psyche-out of the smugglers and unveiling of the killer. It seems to me he was beginning to grow into the role. It has many of the classic elements of a Chan vehicle. All in all it was a solid little story that demonstrated the value of the series and possibilities for the future.

Re: Re: Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Docks of New Orleans"

Dear Russell,

"Thank you so much" for another good summary. I think that newcomers would be well advised to search out your past summaries of other Chan films on this humble Message Board. You always offer keen insights into these movies.

Sincerely,
Rush