Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Our Monday Evening Chat and Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan in Reno"

Virginia also has a link for tonight . . . at www.rhyolitesite.com/bottle1.html.
It's where our own Evan Thompson, aka THE BLOT!, spent time with his grandparents. You can still see pitcures with them there!
Virginia

Re: "Charlie Chan in Reno" a film for today

As I watched “Charlie Chan in Reno” I couldn’t help but think that if he was revived today this is the kind of film they should make. It is one of a healthy number of Chan films whose consistent high quality contributed to the continued popularity of the character and series. It has all the elements of a fine Chan mystery without any of the negatives. It has the able, yet sometimes bumbling assistance of a Chan son. It has the mention of Mrs. Chan and by inference the entire Chan family, always an endearing element. It has the local police providing Charlie with a respectful and eager welcome. In particular, it has Slim Summerville in a very fine performance as the resentful local official/comic relief who doesn’t know how grateful he should be. In his “clueless ness” is revealed the prejudice and wrongfulness of his ideas and attitude. Proof positive that Charlie Chan is far from a bad example, but rather this confrontation serves as good condemnation of the foolishness of preconceived notions. And who cannot love the scene where Charlie serves as bartender. A classic scene. This film, filled as it is with a great slate of suspects, more then a few red herrings and a couple of twists is a very solid entry with a strong cast and solid plot. I for one just love it.

Re: Re: "Charlie Chan in Reno" a film for today

Dear Russell,

Another thought provoking analysis, thank you! I agree that this one does have many of the elements, as you mention, that make the Charlie Chan series so dear to so many people.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick