Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Producer John Stone

Dear Todd,

Judging from your name, you are related to Mr. Stone (Strumwasser). Welcome, and I hope that your message here, and doubtlessly elsewhere, will receive some positive responses.

Your illustrious relative not only produced Charlie Chan films in the 1930s, but also a number in the next decade for Fox. I count a total of 14, more than half of the total made by that studio.

Again, best wishes and good luck on your search...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Dear Mr. Strumwasser,

I'm afraid that I don't personally have any memorabilia or information on Mr. Stone, but I will suggest that you look up a copy of Jon Tuska's "Detective in Hollywood" book. If you are not familiar with that book (first issued in the 70s) the author takes the reader "behind the scenes" with regards to the making of many classic series. Many involved with those productions were still alive then and participated with the author to make this book.

Mr. Stone is featured in several places in this book.

If you don't mind my asking, I presume he was related to you. Did you know him and did he ever mention his work on the Chan films?

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Re: Producer John Stone

John Stone died in 1961, when I was 6. So, unfortunately I have few memories. His son, Peter, who I was close to, was a Playwright in NY and won an Tony, Oscar and Emmy. He wrote Charade, Father Goose and the musical, Titanic and 1776. Because Uncle Jack was a very successful Hollywood Producer, I grew up hearing many stories of his exploits. Thanks for your tip. I will follow through.

Thank you for the reply.

I have heard of Mr. Peter Stone, primarily because of my great love of the 1776 movie (I've seen the play version once). I remember listening to part of his audio commentary on the 1776 DVD and being saddened at hearing of his passing several years ago. I will now make it a point to go back and hear the entire thing.

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Producer John Stone

Todd,
Would you be interested in an interview with me for my Old Maven Movie Magazine about him?
You can reach me through me email address.
Thanks!
Virginia