Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Music in Charlie Chan

I agree about the volume of the music, but I think it is true of many films from this era. Do you think it might have to do with the way the music and other sounds are mixed and added to the films?

Re: Re: Music in Charlie Chan

Dear DAR,

Yes, you could be at least partially right about how the music sounds due to the way it was added to the parts of the film where it was used. I was also thinking how the "B" movies of the era were something like the "pulp" magazine adventures of the time, and, as such, a more emotionally stimulating musical accompaniment would be understandable as well as desired.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Music in Charlie Chan

Thank you Rush and Donna for your responses. I have been viewing Charlie Chan in The Secret Service and the music is somewhat bombastic. I found the name of another Musical Director: Emil Newman ( yes related to Randy )who did CC Wax Museum. I think Joan Valerie is an interesting "bad girl". Thanks again and I am waiting for the release of Volume 3. Thank again Gilbert

Re: Re: Re: Re: Music in Charlie Chan

Dear Gilbert,

You are very welcome, and thank YOU for mentioning the relationship between Randy Newman and Emil Newman. I had never made that connection, but, I seem to recall hearing once that he had a relative (his father?) who had written musical scores for films.

Sincerely.
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Music in Charlie Chan

Randy Newman's uncle was Alfred Newman, who was quite famous during The Golden Age. Emil was also an uncle.