Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Two part question ?

Dear Darrell,

Thank you for your visit to our humble Website, first of all. Next, thank you for mentioning the section of our inadequate essay on Charlie Chan.

As you may know, there are attempts by a number of Charlie Chan fans to explain the sudden change in Jimmy Chan's name to "Tommy" as well as the sudden disappearance to any reference to "Number Three Son" as well as Mr. Chan's honorable wife. All "theories" are, of course "conjecture," although the most repeated idea has Tommy Chan dying tragically in some way. He is last heard from in "Dangerous Money" as he assists his Pop and brother Jimmy from afar, cabling information to his father. It is at about the same time that Mrs. Chan is noted in any way. By the Roland Winters portion of the Chan series, the detective is based in San Francisco, Jimmy is now "Tommy," and there is no mention of Mrs. Chan.

Perhaps to make the short essay on Charlie Chan more "accurate," the word "conjecture" should be added to mention of a deceased Tommy Chan and Mrs. Chan. However, the imact would be lessened, of course. Some have suggested that Tommy was killed in the war (World War II), however, it ended while he was certainly still alive and well! If they were gathered to their honorable ancestors as mwentioned, their causes of death are shrouded in as much mystery as their disappearance from the series.

One of our Charlie Chan family members, russell, wrote an excellent post from June 27 regarding Jimmy becoming "Tommy" which can be read below. I greatly enjoyed his explanation, and you may find it interesting.

This may be the time to "revise" the essay that you read to make what was written a little less definite. Again, I thank you...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Two part question ?

Hi Darrell,

I am happy to tell you that you made an incorrect assumption regarding Charlie dying of natural causes. You see, like the most famous resident of London's Baker Street, Charlie Chan is eternal. He lives on.

While it may be true that his last public appearance was many years ago, there are Hawaiians who will tell you in very hushed and secretive tones that, on very rare occasions, a wizened and somewhat frail Oriental gentleman can be seen wondering the grounds around the little house on Punchbowl Hill. Almost mythic in appearance, and seen very fleetingly, this figure is often surrounded and aided by multiple members of what is presumably the latest generation of the Chan family.

Hawaiians are very respectful of the Chan family's wishes to protect the privacy of their most famous resident. Tourists and other outsiders who ask the locals where to find Mr. Chan are deliberately kept in the dark on this matter.

Fortunately for the rest of us we are able to relive his past exploits on film and in books.

Steve

Re: Re: Two part question ?

Steve:

I'm afraid you are getting Charlie Chan and Sherlock Holmes confused.

It is Holmes who has retired to Hawaii assisted by his Number 1 son and the rest of his family.

Charlie Chan fell, struggling with Professor Moriarty, over the Reichenbach Falls in Switzerland, never to be seen again.

Glad to clear up that point of confusion.

Doug

Re: Re: Re: Two part question ?

Respectfully, you are mistaken. Charlie survived the struggle at the Reichenbach Falls with his arch foe Doctor Loveless and after a period of wandering through the American West he returned in "The Adventure of the Empty House on Punchbowl Hill" as chronicled by his biographer Bess Marvin. P.S. I like the eternal figure explaination best.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Two part question ?

Touche!