Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Question For Rush And SteveO

So does this mean CC volume 3 will be the last DVD release we will see for a while? Tony

Re: Re: Re: Question For Rush And SteveO

I would think that they will continue with the Foxes that Sidney Toler made with Victor Sen Young.

Virginia

Re:Question For Rush And SteveO

Hi Tony,

Not at all. Fox has already announced intentions to release Vol 4 which would start the Tolers. No release date set yet but it will be sooner rather than later. The presumption is that Vol 5 and 6 would follow.

The Monograms are owned by Warner, another company.

Steve

Re: Re:Question For Rush And SteveO

Great! Thank you so much..

Re: Re: Re:Question For Rush And SteveO

Well they seemed to like The Sky dragon. There is one resident who claims that his father took him to see these Monogram Classics at a actual movie theater in San Francisco back in the late 1940's. He also claims that these Monogram Chans were shown on television long before Fox released theres on TV. He claims to have seen The Sky Dragon on TV as early as 1952. Is this possible? Does anyone have records of when the Charlie Chan films were first shown on TV? Is it true that the Monogram Chans were released on TV long before the Fox Chans or is this residents memory a little off?

Re: Re: Re: Re:Question For Rush And SteveO

Dear Sam,

It is very possible that "The Sky Dragon" was shown on TV as early as 1952. The showing of this and other Charlie Chan films, as well as other productions, would have helped Monogram financially at that time. Yes, I believe that the resident who told you that they saw that film on television in the early '50s is probably not mistaken. One way that we could research the early showings of Charlie Chan on television would be to look through microfilm copies of old newspapre television listings.

One clue to the early showing of Charlie Chan on television comes from an episode of "The Honeymooners," in which Ralph Cramden and Ed Norton watch a Charlie Chan movie on the "Late, Late Show" on a TV that they are "sharing." I cannot recall the title that was mentioned, but it was an "imaginary" movie whose title was reminiscent of a Monogram picture! Also, further checking (at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Living_Through_TV) reveals that a TV showing of a Charlie Chan movie was referred to in a first season (1955) "Honeymooners" episode, which indicates to me that audiences would have been very familiar with Chan being shown on television by that time.

It would, perhaps, be interesting to quiz your audiences as to their recollections of when and where they saw Charlie Chan films.

Sincerely,
Rush