Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: The best Chan of the "Non Big 3"

I would like to do a write in vote for Xinyuan Xu. I have little to go on to base my vote, but he at least did have a sequel made, so that should count for something.

Re: The best Chan of the "Non Big 3"

Manuel Arbo but I'm not sure how well any of us could really decide on who because we've either never seen the performance or it might have been years . . . .

And Manuel Arbo does come closest to the Charlie Chan we know and love.

Virginia

Re: The best Chan of the "Non Big 3"

I too would vote for Manuel Arbo. It's a shame he didn't get to do more.

J. Carol Naish would be a close second though.

Chris

Re: Re: The best Chan of the "Non Big 3"

J.Carrol Nash gets my vote. Manuel Arbo is very good, but the language barrier detracts a point or two for me. I am often too busy reading the subtitles to watch the actors. I manage, but it is a bit distracting. And then there is the fact of the only one movie. J. Carrol Nash was a fine actor and if he had a full hour show, instead of the half hour with so little time to develop characters and storylines, I think we would be remembering him above Roland Winters. As it is I think he is the "best of all the rest". Call me crazy, but I see a bit of the old Chan charm in him. He has over 3 dozen TV episodes to his credit and even has on screen time with a # 1 son. The silent and other early Chan actors amount to little more then cameos. Ross Martin, if I recall him correctly, was "stereotypicaus ridiculos". I am not sure peter Ustinov's spoof film portrayal should count. I think I'd sooner count Harry Who