Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Time For Our Panama Hats!

I have gotten a request that I can't quite place.

My e-mailer's movie reminds me of two of Raymond Burr's Perry Mason movies but neither quite fit the bill :

"A famous British painter, a recluse, seeking to avoid his fame, has his butler stand in for him at an awards affair. When the butler suddenly dies and is buried with all pomp and honor as the famous painter, the real one realizes that he is now a free person. He meets a no-nonsense lady who takes him in as an impractical but loveable man who dabbles in painting. When her beer stocks begin to fail, she realizes that his paintings might be worth a few punds. When they hit the market, an art dealer wonders how come a dead artist has new paintings coming to market.

"Fraud charges, a trail and vindication follow."

Can you place this movie?

The gentleman also wants to know the principal characters but we can get those through www.imdb.com if we can get the title.

Thanks, y'all!
Virginia
(aka The Maven )

Re: Time For Our Panama Hats!

The story, "Buried Alive" by Arnold Bennett was filmed twice in the sound era, once in 1933 as "His Double Life" with Roland Young and Lillian Gish and again in 1943 as "Holy Matrimony" with Monty Woolley and Gracie Fields.

Hope this helps.

Mike Sparrow
Cleveland OH

Re: Re: Time For Our Panama Hats!

Thanks!!

Virginia

That reminds me of an early Perry Mason Episode

Actually, it reminds me of an old Raymond Burr Perry Mason episode featuring Julie Adams (later Eve Simpson on Murder She Wrote) and Richard Jaeckel as her young bodyguard. Julie’s husband was an artist heavily in debt. They stage a very public divorce. Then with the help of his art gallery confederate the artist fakes his own death and sells “undiscovered” paintings at a premium. Someone becomes suspicious of all the new paintings from the “deceased”. Needless to say he ends up really dead the second time around .

Re: That reminds me of an early Perry Mason Episode

The Case of the Lover's Leap (1963).