Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kill at the Broadcasting Station (1939)

How exciting. A "new" Chan film. Is this film availble for purchase? I guess it is too much to hope that it would be and also one day be availble for import with English subtitles. But then, maybe some Hong Kong company might be persuaded to make it available in the West.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kill at the Broadcasting Station (1939)

And not just one "new" Chan film. There appears to have been a series of them made in Shanghai. I'm quite confident now that there were at least six. Two other titles are possibilties, based on the correspondence of the principal cast members, director/screenwriter, and brief descriptions that they were detective films of some sort.

As to whether prints of any of these films today actually survive, that's an entirely separate matter. I have read in various places online that the survival rate of Chinese-made films from the 1930s and 1940s is not so great.

Hopefully, at least one bona fide Charlie Chan film made in Shanghai still exists. We could get a general impression of the whole series if there is at least one example to view. Maybe after we view one, we won't care if any others are found!

I will attempt to learn more soon.