Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Toler Gravesite: The Case of the Missing Chan

I've been visiting this board for some time but never posted. However, seeing another person from Wichita has inspired me to post some additional information on the gravesite.

I too went to visit this site about 3 years ago. I was lucky to actually talk to a caretaker who knew right where it was. When I went, there was something quite odd at the base of the tombstone: the remains of an older and smaller tombstone. At first glance, it appeared to be rocks but then I saw letters that spelled out Toler, I was able to piece together most of what I am assuming was his father's tombstone. I know that he was buried next to his father, so I assume a larger one replaced the original. But it was odd that it was just left there. It may still be there, grown over with weeds or covered with dirt. I would hope some other visitor just didn't walk off with it.

Re: Re: Toler Gravesite: The Case of the Missing Chan

It is, though in several pieces.

Tombstone Clarification

Slight clarification from my earlier observation: I managed to shoot and clarify the seal on top of the tombstone,and it actually reads "Erected by the Woodmen of the World." As I don't recall any mention of the senior Toler being in the lumber business, this is a bit confusion.

I also tried piecing together the smaller, broken stone, but marble tends to weather poorly and I wasn't able to read the results.